D70 Repair Diary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I sent my d70 to Nikon's El Segundo repair center on Wednesday, 10/5, and Fedex confirmed delivery at 9:00AM on Friday. This is the letter that accompanied it:

Now it's a waiting game. The standard procedure is for them to log is the camera, evaluate it, and then contact the owner by Snail-Mail to get authorization for the repair. I hope to shortcut the system, and will call on Tuesday and try to speak to a very responsive tech at El Segundo that Phil Youngblood identified for me. I'll see if I can authorize the repair by phone, and try to make the case that this is a design problem that should be repaired at Nikon's expense. If the d70 isn't capable of supporting the heaview lenses, that should have been noted in its specs. Users shouldn't be penalized for buying Nikon's best lenses, and enriching their profit line, should they?

Note that I spoke to a service tech on Friday afternoon, and she thought I was calling about a BGLOD return. They are estimating a 5 day turn-around for BGLOD repairs. I hope that doesn't stuff the system up and extend the repair cycle for other problems.

I'll keep you updated about the repair process on this thread. It'll help me cope with my withdrawal symptoms. :Depressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry to hear about your problem Frank. I still don't have my D70 (or my D2H) back from the NY repair depot. If it weren't for the terrific deal that Mike Mac made me on his H (and the loan that Greg made of his two H's), I'd be in terminal withdrawal right now. If I had something to loan you, I would.

I feel for you bud. :cool:

Frank

3. In the future: Dear Sir or Madam:

4. Good News!!!

I called Nikon El Segundo to see if my d70, which they received on Friday morning, had been logged into the system yet. Yes, it has, and they were able to give me the service number!

Even better news! The technician has already evaluated it, and since I had returned my d70 for warranty work in June, they are treating this as a no-charge re-repair!!! And since that doesn't require customer authorization, they're already working on it.

The service rep says that their current standard is a 5 day turn around on repairs. Of course, that's based on them having parts in hand. I'm hoping that's the case, and they'll be able to ship it out by the end of the week.

Gotta love Nikon... sometimes :wink:.

5. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey Frank:

Did you end up purchasing another D70 or are you going the rental route should the repair take longer than expected?

6. No, I'm going to borrow Philippe's d70 for the engagement shoot this weekend, and rely on Nikon to get me my camera back in time for the wedding in November. It's looking pretty good... now.

Since I won't have to spend a bundle on the repair or a new camera, I think I'm going to splurge on a gray market 85/1.4... but I'll wait until I've got the camera back before I place the order.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's great news! Hope they get it to you in time for your upcoming shoot.

I can only hope that mine doesn't ever need a repair. I'm just over 6k shutter releases, so maybe I'll sell mine soon and get the D70s body....the thought of having to go through their repair process makes me shudder...

9. Heck, at 6,000 activations, your d70 isn't even broken in yet, Ken. I've got 18,000 on mine. If I were you, I'd wait for the d200.

10. I called Nikon El Segundo yesterday, to see how my d70 repair was faring, but after waiting 20 minutes to get a live body on the line, I gave up. I was just about to try again this morning when my doorbell rang, and the UPS man delivered my repaired d70!!! Since it was categorized as a re-repair, they sent it back by Next Day Air.

The invoice lists the following:

Repair Communication
    Clean CCD
    Check AF
    Check Flash Operation
    General Check & Clean

My thanks and kudos to Nikon El Segundo!!!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congrat's Frank. I got mine back from the NY depot yesterday too. A good day all around. :smile:

12. Congrats, Frank & Frank. Hope your cameras are functioning perfectly now.

13. Thanks, Frank and Phil! I've tried out the camera, and it seems to be perfect! Great job by Nikon.

14. My first D70 had the backfocus issue. Later, one of my D2H's had the meter issue. In both cases, Nikon Melville fixed and returned the camera within 10 days. The D2H meter problem was repaired complimentary outside of the warranty period and several months before their recent policy of always taking care of this problem. Nikon's good service has helped keep me in their camp.

Glenn

15. This is the first real problem I've had with a Nikon, dating back to when I bought a CP995 in early 2002. The quality of their gear has been excellent, and now I have anecdotal evidence that their service is just as good as their equipment. I guess I might as well get that Nikon tattoo now, cause I'm not buying anything else :wink:.

16. Ah, how nice to hear. Congrats.

I have used Nikon's service department more than I would care to have, but they sure do deliver time and time again.

17. Thanks, Ed. It turns out that all that agita about borrowing a camera for the engagement shoot on Saturday was unnecessary. But who would have thought that Nikon would turn around a major repair in just 5 days?

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Glad to hear your repair went so smoothly. When I sent my Beast in it ended up on parts hold twice, but at least they shipped it overnight and I got it back in perfect working order.

I just wish they had a more modern system, the info on the web site always seems to be out of date, and unless you know to call you have to wait for the estimate to come in the mail (quite a delay if it's not warranty work and has to be approved). I'm sure they got really sick of me calling every day but hey, I would have been more than happy to rely on the website if I thought it was at all accurate.

19. What was wrong with your 28-70? Mine is in there now, having been on "parts hold" for a little while.

Mine had a rattle in the inner barrel, a sticky focusing ring and odd blue blooming.