D70 software

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by ondrugs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ondrugs

ondrugs

Jun 20, 2008
    England
    hello all,

it looks like i've gone and lost the discs that came with my D70 that i bought 3 years ago.
    can anyone tell me what was on those discs? i have a feeling it had plugins for some programs to be able to work with NEF raw images.
    i've never shot in RAW, but apparently it's recommended. not sure why though :confused: 

2. I still have mine from 4 years ago....and to quite honest, there was nothing worth having on those disc. One had a demo version of nikon capture, and the other had picture project; which is no longer supported.

Mike

3. ondrugs

ondrugs

Jun 20, 2008
    England
    thanks mike.
    i managed to find the registry entry to view thumbnails and Corel Paint Shop Pro XI seems to be able to open them up to edit.
    what are the actual advantages of shooting in RAW? i think i need to do a course in post processing or something.

4. The RAW vs JPEG is a heated debate, in photography, equal to religion or politics almost.

In basic terms, RAW captures every bit of data that the chip "sees" at exposure and saves it for you to work on later. JPEG takes that RAW data, and the in camera computer then modifies the file, according to your settings, saves a JPEG and discards the RAW data.

So, if you want your camera to decide how your picture should look, or the technician in Japan who wrote the algorithm, then shoot JPEG, if you want full control, shoot RAW.

You can download the free Nikon ViewNX to work with your RAW files.

5. ondrugs

ondrugs

Jun 20, 2008
    England
    so really, RAW is for people who knw what they are doing when it comes to editting and allows them to minipulate every pixel.
    RAW is essentially a bitmip then?
    can you see the difference between a bitmap and jpeg?

6. RAW is not a bitmip, whatever that is LOL. RAW conversion software shows you the image, just like a JPEG. Only Nikon software shows RAWS with all in camera settings applied, but they are all still fully changeable.

RAW is not for "people who know what they are doing" as you say, it is for people who prefer to work with RAW files.

7. Andre,

RAW files allow for more control in post processing, you can go back and make changes to the original settings you used in camera, and you can squeeze out the last little bit of data into you picture. That being said, a jpeg picture that is taken with the proper camera settings will look the same in most normal sized prints.

Mike

8. Andre,

What Mike said for starters.

Jpegs out of the D70 can be very nice, and if you have a formula that works for you, there is no overwhelming need for raw. Most pictures taken in our household are jpeg's. The D70 and a couple of Canon Point & Shoots.

Raw gives you the ability to do more in post processing and to yield a better final image when the lighting and exposure were not spot on. Raw processing will not necessarily make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but sometimes I think it comes close.

The best software I have found for my D70 images is Capture NX2. You can download a trial version, try it and see if you like it. A lot of folks are really into spending the time to get the most out of thier images. A lot of other folks are into shooting a lot of images and learning how to expose them for the best results with the least amount of work.

What Raw definitely gives you is the ability to choose different contrast, sharpening and saturation settings after the exposure was already made. You can make some of those adjustments with JPEG files but at some point the quality of the image from RAW that was manipulated will surpass the quality of the same image shot in JPEG and manipulated (assuming you are trying for the same effect).

Here is a D70 raw file that I used the newer picture control settings from Nikon Capture NX2 to change how the image looked from the original settings

326525155_3AWPC-X3-1.

And the original out of the camera version:

[​IMG]

Warm Regards

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.