D70 under exposing, grrrrr

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by gerryblake, Jul 24, 2007.

1. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Was wondering if anyone could help me out here before I take my D70 and toss if out the window. I am finding that my camera is under exposing every shot and I am sick of having to spend the time in photoshop to adjust each image. Adding some "ZAP" to my pics is one thing, but having to adjust the exposure is a totally diffent thing. Is anyone else having this problem and if so, how do I fix it? Are there setting in the camera that I can adjust to help?? Thanks.........

2. The obvious answer is to add +1/3 EV or am I not understanding the problem?
    My apologies in advance....:confused:

3. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    That's what I have been thinking about doing, guess I can try it out and see what happens. Thanks!

4. My D70 always did the same thing.
    +0.3 or +0.7 fixed it.

5. That seems to be the norm. You might want to take a look at this thread. I have tried the settings, and they work pretty well.

I have since loaded this custom curve and it seems to have solved the problem.

6. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    I'm not sure it really is a problem. Digital's DR make it difficult to compare the results of one camera to what you used to get on film. I prefer to say that nikon pro line (and every dslr before the D50) exposes "conservatively", that is, you won't ever find a blown highlight under normal circumstances. The theory behind that is that blown highlights are unrecoverable whereas a bit of underexposure can be easily fixed in photoshop (moreso if you shoot RAW).
    New cameras such as D80 and D40 are tailored more towards a market that wouldn't want to spend time in photoshop and don't actually care about a blown highlight here or there as long as the picture has "punch".
    The D200 AFAIK is always spot on.

So, in short, yeah... your camera is behaving exactly as it's supposed to. If you'd rather have it expose more towards the light, by all means use exposure compensation.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    How much underexposed.....

Robin had a prob with gross underexposure and it had to go to the Nikon Doctor

8. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks guys for the help. I uploaded a curve in the camera last night, so at lunch I will head out and take a few shots and see if it gets any better. So, is the D200 that much better with the exposure issues? Thanks again!!

9. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    There isn't a single shred of advice in this thread that is worth anything until you post a picture with attached EXIF. This could be a user issue, an exposure comp issue, a lunar gravity issue ... who knows. Post a picture.