D70 update seems great

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt S, May 17, 2005.

1. Just updated my firmware and I like what I see so far. The new menu is much better looking and focus seems better, but then again I never thought it was slow to begin with. I have not done any sort of "official" testing before and after. The firmware was easy to download and install. I found the link on (dare I mention) the Dpr D70/50 forum. I am sure there are downloads available from Nikon USA etc. Just thought I would let folks know that it won't fry your camera. :wink:

2. I heard about someone else that upgraded too and they loved the improved AF focusing.......as for me. I still need to update. It is good to hear that you like it a lot more.

3. Thanks, Matt. I just updated mine. Really easy to do!! :D :D

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks for the reminder. I was so busy oogling the new Kodak's that I completely forgot about the update. I'll DL it now.

5. Tui

Tui Guest

D70 Update

Just did the update and the menu is better. More contrast and clearer. I don't know about the focusing yet. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces.
    I really think it is a good thing Nikon is doing offering this update to D70 owners and not leaving them out in the cold wishing they had waited for the D70s. Kudos to Nikon :D

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Mine was done without problems. The menus are a definite improvement. The focus seems to be quite snappy, but I'll need to shoot some action with AF-C and Dynamic Mode before I'll be able to tell if there is any discernable improvement.

Looking at some of the other forums though, it's amazing the number of people that didn't read the instructions properly and screwed up. The most common mistake seems to be copying both update files to the CF card together. In this scenario, only the B file will be updated. I bet the Nikon support people dread these firmware updates . . . :shock:

7. Worked flawlessly. I bet Nikon has more repairs done to the cameras than ever before because of the D70! :)

8. I just updated my D70. The menu looks great and the AF seems to work fine. It is great that Nikon continues to support the older version while they announce an advance version of the D70 to (s). Great marketing to support their current customers.

Bill

9. I uploaded my too and i like it alot in fact my buddy just got his new D70s today and i really can't see much difference between the size of the old screen and the new one, and by the way the LCD covers are not interchangeable, at leat my Hoodman flip cover won't fit the D70s.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I agree... The new menus look much nicer. Wonder if Nikon's gonna update the rest of the line to match - it would be sweet to have that menu system on my D2h.

Prolly the D70 and the D70s are so much alike that the firmware doesn't need much tweaking, if at all, to work on either one.