D70 vs. D50

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Pa, Sep 21, 2005.

1. My wife has always loved her Coolpix 4300, and initially opposed my upgrading to a D70 from my CP5700. HOWEVER, on our recent trip to the Canadian Rockies, she practically took the D70 away from me. She complains about the size and weight, but agrees that it is far more capable than the 4300.

Bottom line: we're considering another digital SLR body to share my collection of lenses for our next big trip (New Zealand in January).

I'm pretty sure it will be another D70(s) or a D50. I think she will like the smaller size of the D50, but will we be sacrificing much performance compared to the D70?

Recommendations anyone?

Thanks.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Pa :

Simple questions to answer on this one will help lead to an answer.

Does your wife wish to shoot in multi-mode (A/S/P) ?

Does your wife want to make quick changes to various functions (e.g., WB) ?

Does she shoot in various focusing modes ?

Is she the kind of person who wants to play with light by altering the camera settings versus processing the image file ?

If "yes" to any substantial part of the above, she'll likely be frustrated with the D50, at least, more than the D70.

If she's shooting with relatively few modes/changes and uses functions like Auto-WB, she might like the D50. It is indeed smaller, fits more easily in the hand, etc.

One fairly important point, if you're travelling together to NZ, you can share CF cards for a D70 and D70s, where the D50/D70 combo uses two distinctly different and incompatible memory formats. Seems trivial, but conjugal bliss is built on sharing, I've found. :cool:

In your place, I'd likely upgrade to a D70s and give her the D70. She's now familiar with the camera, and she can lift weights before that trip to build up her stamina ! :wink: :eek: :wink:

John P.

4. Since she's already familiar with the D70 and I presume doing well with it, I'd stick with a D70 or D70s. To lose functionality by going to a D50 might be frustrating for her. She'll get used to the size/weight. I've had my D70 for 4 months now, and for the first few weeks, my arms tired from using it....now I don't even notice it, and I have trouble using smaller cameras because they don't have enough heft :wink:

5. If your wife gets a d50, you won't be able to share memory cards.

6. Yes, I hadn't checked into it far enough to discover this. That would be a siginificant impediment, and I guess it is a show-stopper on the D50, as we have accumulated a bunch of CF cards.

Next question - D70s vs. used D70?

7. Pa,

Tough choice there. Do you think the faster AF system in the D70s will make a difference on your trip to New Zealand? Plus, the 1500 mah battery (D70 is only 1400 mah, but can get the 1500mah though) the 2.0 LCD display over the 1.5 LCD in the D70.

If I were in the predictament you're in now, I would probably go with a used D70 and just update the firmware (if it already hasn't been) and save yourself the money for your trip in January. Good luck!

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Pa :

If you have the cash, get the D70s. It's got a few better features than the D70.

John P.

9. Went through a similar situation. I thought my wife would want a D50 for her birhtday but she was comfortable with my 70 and did not want the smaller 50 and lack of the second command dial.
    So we ended up getting a 70s.
    The 50 is a great camera but it feels and handles differently then the 70 so if she is not bothered by the size and weight of the 70 I'd stick with what she is familiar with.

Rich.