D70 WB for night shots

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jim Strathearn, May 8, 2005.

1. What WB do you usually use for nighttime cityscapes in your D70 (or D-anything for that matter...)? I know that if you shoot RAW you can adjust WB in PP. But if you notice, different WB settings affect metering differently and I don't want to have to deal with the added noise of an underexposed image because I chose an incorrect WB. (I find that using Auto instead of Daylight in a sunny situation underexposes; sometimes by as much as by 2 stops...)

Thanks!

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    WB setting for nightime cityscapes depends greatly on the time of the night :) , type of the lights, and the mood you want. "Blue" night after the full sunset is about Incandescent +3; for highly "neon" scenes it may be Fluorescent +1 or +2.

As far as I tested, WB has no effect on exposure, only on histogram.

3. Thanks Iliah!

Sorry for the delayed response. I used your suggestions for my NTF Challenge entry and didn't want to post my results until after the challenge was over. I used Incandescent WB for this pic and thought it came out rather well. Thanks again!

[​IMG]

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Have you tried to use a preset wb? I use an Expodisk for night wb and find it works well.

5. I use a preset WB when doing indoor macros all the time with great results. I've been thinking long and hard about the Expodisk and will probably put it on my short list...

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

This shot was taken by my wife after I set the WB with Expodisk. The only light was from a sodium security light - an awful light source - and the Expodisk did a great job!

It was hand held at 1/30th using my Nikkor 50mm, f1.4

[​IMG]

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Very nice WB, but how one can say it is night?

8. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Thierry, they are very slightly blue-greenish, close to perfectly neutral.

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Sorry I didn't see your question until now....

They look okay to me also....they are translucent, so you get some skin tone coming through, and they are old and dingy (I have new glasses now).

And, I am really surprised my wife was so steady! She usually has camera shake (like I do). I just got a 24-120VR lens today and we both tried it and are delighted.....