D70 won't fire...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Dec 5, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well not quite...
    As a lot of you know, I spend a lot of time during the winter photographing hockey.
    Something I noticed about 3 weeks ago while one of my D70's was at Nikon being repaired is that during the games every once in a while the other D70 wouldn't fire while following action in Continuous focus mode.
    I know that it is suppose to fire weather the picture is in focus or not unlike in Single focus mode.
    A quick turn the camera off and back on fixed it.
    Well my recently repaired D70 did the same thing a couple times over the weekend.
    What I was wondering is if it might be the temperature in the arena which is colder than last year and I guessing about 30ยบ F, maybe colder I don't know for sure it is just freezing in there at the ice level.
    It is not happening during the first period of the game, only in the late second or during the third and not very often (thank God!!) but is it very annoying.

Dave

2. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    How old are your batteries?

Get a new battery, charge it fully and go to another shoot like this and then let us know if the problem goes away.

Good luck.

Henry

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Dave, not to hijack your thread, but I'm having a simular problem on both of my D70 Bodies, but a little worse.

When using my sigma 70-200 in studio (So weather is not a factor), when my camera hunts for focus it seams to lock up of sorts. Will not fire, will not turn off(i turn it off and top lcd display has all information on it like it was still on) and it will not fire. I have to remove the battery and then it is fine for a few shots then does it again. this happens on both of my D70 bodies. Any clues would be great.

4. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    Mine started doing this recently, too. It has happened a few times, in AF-S mode with a Nikon 17-55 2.8 DX lens. Like you, turning it off and on fixed it. No errors displayed or any other indicators of a problem. I talked to a photog for a small newspaper who said his did the same thing.

The last time it happened I was using a freshly charged battery. I have two that I rotate, and I can't say for sure but a wild guess is they've both been charged maybe 30 or 40 times each at the most?

I started having the problem after the last firmware update. I didn't notice it immediately, but I'd never had the problem before the update. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I have about 15,000 shutter releases on the odometer.

5. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Sounds like the same thing mine went to nikon for. Try and see if it happens when the camera is tilted forwards at a certain angle (mine was at 45 degrees)
    It was an orientation sensor fault and it was rectified with a warranty shutter and sensor replacement. It only happened occassionally so I waited till near the end of my Warrant then sent it in.
    Happy to say it come back in perfect condition pretty fast and the focus was better than ever. It was doing this before the firmware update and the firmware update did not rectify it. All in all it happened about 100 times in 10 months before I had the shutter replaced.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Hmm I was using the same lens when I have had the problem.
    I have just turned mine off and on again real fast and it works fine for a while.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

My problem is that both D70's are out of warranty now.
    I am using REAL nikon batteries and they have been charged several times each, but I don't think they are any where close to being at their end of life.

8. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Dave

I think you need to have Nikon take a close look at them. Must be some faulty electronics.

Henry Goh

9. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA

Dave,

I just sent an inquiry into Sigma, In a thread I started on dpr, I go some information about the lense not being compatable with some dslrs and may need to be re-chipped. I will let you know what sigma has to say

Dan

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I bought mine used, but I think it had been re-chipped before I got it. (I will have to call the guy I got it from and ask. I seem to remember him telling me that he had sent it in to Sigma for that)

11. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Dave,
    Sent mine off to Sigma today, will let ya know what is up with mine as soon as they tell me.

Dan

12. Dave, I think I know what's wrong--you have D2xitis :)
    Cheers!

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

LOL.. No, but maybe D200itis...

14. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I had the same problem with a D100. Sent it to Nikon in NY 2ce. Replaced contact strip in warranty that connects to lens. To determine this is your culprit, as well, follow the troubleshooting instructions offered by Nikon tech over the phone:

With camera on and fresh battery on, press lens release. Carefully rotate lens 1/2 way as though you were removing it then rotate it back until it clicks locked back in place.

If that solved the release problem, describe this to the service writer on the telephone at Nikon, and write a note with these details, attach note to camera. The repair will replace the contacts which affect the autofocus / focus lock. The signal not returning from the lens does not give the go ahead to release shutter.

Also switch to manual release. This will work perfectly 100% of the time if the contacts are the issue.

The lens contacts are also suspect. In my case the lens was 70-200VR f2.8. Nikon advised me to send the body and lens in as a set and request they be tested together. I did. The lens was fine.

Hope that helps!!

15. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    gadgetguy11, Nikon Service on the phone had me try what you stated and this did not affect the issues I was haviing. Sent the lense off to sigma and got the following reply. Now I need to take this up with KEH Who I bought the lense from.

Hi ,

We have receive your lens on 12/12/05 We estimate your lens for $ 110.00. Need to replace : flange , bayonet set. Your service order number is 512-259.
    You can pay online at www.sigmaphoto.com go to support, service, online payment form. Or pay by FAX with
    your credit number, expired date, and your signature. For more information please contact us.

Thank you,
    Service Dept

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I occasionally had this problem with my D70, and like Chaz said it seemed to be related to the orientation sensor, and it also seemed a lot more likely to happen when using a microdrive. In fact I think almost every time it happened I was shooting vertical with a microdrive. Tilting the camera back to horizontal usually fixed the problem, if not turning it off and back on would.