D70 won't take a shot, sometimes..

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jln319, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I'm thinking this is something I am doing but I'm not sure what...

Scenario:

Indoors, night, lighting was 2 incandescent lamps, 1 halogen(not directed at subject), against a light background(wall painted bone white), distance, about 12 feet from subject, using D70, 50mm/1.8 lens, manual mode, 1/80 shutter speed, F11, SB600 ttl.

When I hit the button, the lens will drive itself all the way out and in and then finally focus but then when I push to take the shot, nothing. Sometimes if I hold the button down, it will fire but not all the time. I had this happen with the 28-70mm also.

Forgot to mention it happens mostly when I rotate the camera vertical.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. depending on what focus mode you are using, it won't fire if out of focus.....right guys? Try going to manual focus.....

3. Hmmm . . . is the D70 in AF-S or AF-C mode? How is each AF mode configured in your menus - is it "focus priority"? When the camera finally does focus, but shutter does not release, do you remember seeing the green focus indicator displaying in the lower left corner of the viewfinder?

4. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I hadn't tried manual focus, I will try that.

I believe it is set to AF-S but I'll have to check when I get home. Not sure about priority. It did act like it was out of focus. I do see the green dot in the viewfinder when it does finally focus and the shutter does not release.

What should the shutter priority be for AF-S or AF-C?

Thanks for replying. I appreciate the help.

5. I bet its because you hit the little Remote / Timer button accidently, you can force it to AF in remote mode but it won't take the picture....

6. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I will check this too. (I hope it is just my fat fingers.......) Thanks.

7. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Well I checked the settings. this is what I have.

Autofocus is set to AF-S
    AF area mode to single
    AF assist - OFF

D70 does not appear to have an external timer/remote button. At least none I can find or that is shown in the manual. You have to hold the moe button down and rotate the main dial for this mode.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Still not sure why it does what it's doing......

maybe it's time for a trip back to Nikon??

8. huh that is strange, Take the battery out and put it back in, maybe try a new battery,

Does it take pictures when manually focusing?

9. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I've tried taking the battery out. Reset menu options.

No problems with manual focus.

It seems to be more of problem indoors and in low light situations.

10. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Try turnig the AF assist on. In low light or low contrast situations their is not light. AF assist puts that light there. Also slow lens's will not help in low light. I think f5.6 is the magick number.Thats why teleconverters hurt auto focus perfomance.

11. ya sounds more like your AF sensors just aren't picking up enough contrast, Just pay attention to what your focusing on (and what focus sensor is active)

Its sounding more normal to me now, if your cam works fine outdoors

Also set it to Af-c if you don't want to wait for the focus to lock on, then you can take a picture whenever.

12. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area

Thank you very much gentlemen. This does make sense. I will give these a try.

13. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Yeah, the problem is a lack of autofocus lock in af-s mode. In that mode the camera is in focus priority, which means that it prevents you from releasing the shutter if the camera doesn't think it has acquired focus.

Lexiticus is right in that switching to af-c will remove focus priority shooting, which will allow you to release the shutter whenever you press the button.

14. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Additionally, you can use the AE/AF lock button on the back of the camera to trigger AF, which will then let you use the shutter button to fire the camera whenever you want to, even in AF-S mode. This is option #15 under the CSM menu. Set this to "AF-ON". I haven't had this problem, but the D70 does have some random quirks at times. I've had a problem where the camera won't AF or release the shutter, as well as the buttons on the back of the camera stop working sometimes. I've found that removing and reinserting the battery has fixed these problems.

15. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    I use the AE/AF lock button as an AF-ON button as well, but I set the camera to AF-C mode when I do so. That way it will try to improve focus as long as I hold the button down, and shoot whenever I want.