D700 & 24-120vr (New Pics added!)

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by lanthier, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I picked up a used (new) Nikon 24-120VR, for a very low price, to see how it would work as a family vacation/party lens on the D700. Not had much chance to use it, but after my "serious" work at the US Botanic Garden this morning, I snapped off a few outside shots. So far so good. I think this lens will be able to serve much like the 18-200 did on the D300. Serial number starts with 5, for those interested... I found it to be fast focusing, and reasonably performing... A few samples:

1: US Capitol Building (f5.6, 1/800)

9120824120sm1-vi.jpg

2: Matchbox Cars (f11, 1/160)

9120824120sm2-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008
  2. Hi Rich,

I like the composition of the second image and it is definitely crisp. I think you found a good copy.

3. Rich, I totally agree with you and I bought the 24x120 kit as well. I ended up with a better value getting both and I'd owned the 24x120 before without issue.

I love the combo. It gives me about the same as 16/17mm to 80mm on a DX camera and I see no issues with IQ. My serial number is also in the 5's.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I've been contemplating a walkaround lens like this, thanks for posting these, Rich.

5. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Great pics. Im new here, but was there a bad batch of the 24-120? Because a couple of you guys said my serial started with a 5.

6. cool shots
    glad you got that lens
    the 24-120VR is one of the famous "sleeper" lenses that you can still find

nice thread
    thanks for sharing

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    there is a general feeling that the early run had some lenses that may be a touch soft compared to the newer ones.

I had a nice copy and used it for 3 years before I got rid of it.

I am not sure the serial number range, but generally 23 or lower might be the ones to watch. Note, it was not all of them, just an occasional copy.

8. Thanks Crystall, for the price, I am really amazed... Took some more simple shots with it today and am very pleased...

Hey Kap, thanks more shots today and reinforced my liking...

You're welcome Francis. I think it works just fine for what it is...

This lens is among the more maligned in the Nikon camp. Many were shocked and mocked Nikon for kitting it with the D700. When I had the opportunity to pick one (new) on the used market for cheap, I figured I could not go wrong.

Thanks Greg!

9. Some new ones from today...

My daughter and I on an outing to Home Depot today... Handheld, D700, with 24-120 VR auto ISO, F5.6, 1/30.

Long and short of it: If you are in the market for such a lens, do not hesitate!

1. Smile (PLEASE!). 52mm, ISO 640.

9132008sm1-vi.jpg

2. "I am going to sell these pictures on the Internet and make a lot of money", my daughter informs me... She is imitatiing her DAD!!!! :biggrin:
    24mm, ISO 900

9132008sm2-vi.jpg

3. "Where are the keys in this place?" 62mm, ISO500

9132008sm3-vi.jpg

10. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice stuff Rich, I am glad you’re enjoying your new lens. It seems like an ideal range for FX cameras.

I love that last shot of your daughter’s impression of you, really made me laugh.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    :biggrin:

12. I've always heard alot of criticism about this lens but you just proved them wrong.......it looks to be an excellent walk around lens.

13. Robert, she's always complaining, that I like my camera too much... So I really thought it was hilarious. I am just as happy with this lens as I was with the 18-200. Fulfills a purpose for sure...

14. I have no doubt Peter than people have had problems. My expectations were very low, but I paid very little for it, so I am super super pleased!