D700 $2999 Usd

it uses an inferior viewfinder and shutter from the D3 though. from the new number system, i guess nikon is planning 3 more DX pro bodies: D400, D500, and D600.

and with the built-in flash it looks as if it won't be compatible with the new PC-E lenses, because the lens will run into the flash when you tilt them upward.

it uses an inferior viewfinder and shutter from the D3 though. from the new number system, i guess nikon is planning 3 more DX pro bodies: D400, D500, and D600.

and with the built-in flash it looks as if it won't be compatible with the new PC-E lenses, because the lens will run into the flash when you tilt them upward.
Phil, shhhhh, this is a secret, don't let this get around, between you and me buddy, Ok? You can push down on the popup flash, and it magically disappears.

I haven't heard of this, do you have a link to some technical info about the incompatibility of the D300 and that lens?
I tested the lens out at a camera store. The PC-E lenses seem to only give full tilt and shift on the D3. On both the D300 and F6, the bulging prism simply gets in the way. I remember Ken Rockwell also mentioned something like this, but I don't have the link.

I asked Nikon about the T/S compatibility:

Dear Sean,

Thank you for emailing us. The following is from the link below

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/mf/pc_micro/pce_24mmf_35ed/index.htm

The Nikon D3 can be used without any limitation. With other cameras, there are limitations in tilt/shift operation. The Nikon F90X series, F90 series, F70, F60D, F55, F50D, F-401 series, F-801 series, F-601, F-601M, F3AF, F-501, PRONEA S or MF cameras cannot be used.

Dear Sean,

Thank you for emailing us. The following is from the link below

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/mf/pc_micro/pce_24mmf_35ed/index.htm

The Nikon D3 can be used without any limitation. With other cameras, there are limitations in tilt/shift operation. The Nikon F90X series, F90 series, F70, F60D, F55, F50D, F-401 series, F-801 series, F-601, F-601M, F3AF, F-501, PRONEA S or MF cameras cannot be used.
OK, then this officially confirms that the PC-E lenses work only on the D3 and nothing else.

Just put my request in for NPS priority purchase. Hopefully I should get my D700 ASAP. Darn it, I just bought two D300 bodies. Nikon is sucking all my money!

AFS

Well, from what I've seen the D300 will clear the full shift, but you can't rotate it all the way in one direction (about 75 degrees versus 90) with full movements. It will be fine if rotated the other way.
I would assume the same would apply to the D700

A

adrianaitken

The manual that comes w/ the 24mm PC-E states that it will work with the F5/F6 (and many others) but you lose some of the tilt/shift range. The D3 is the only body (so far, fingers crossed for more) that allows you the maximum range of movements.

Fortuneately the F5 can remove it's prism and put a waist-level finder on. There'd be no restrictions on movement then !!

I tested the lens out at a camera store. The PC-E lenses seem to only give full tilt and shift on the D3. On both the D300 and F6, the bulging prism simply gets in the way. I remember Ken Rockwell also mentioned something like this, but I don't have the link.
I don't believe this is true. I have read that if the lens is rotated so the shift knob is at the bottom, then full tilt will still work.

Just a little rant about the prices again: the mentioned price of US$2999 and 2799 euro. With the current exchange rate this means that I pay a premium of 1000 euro compared to the US price. I don't know how Nikon can justify this kind of difference.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom