D700 & 300f2.8 nikkor

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by phillip 200, Aug 13, 2008.

1. With a tc20e it's not too bad in the image quality stakes probably, well definitely because of the quite low resolution of the D700 of course you still have to stop it down a couple of stops.

Phil.

D700 300F2.8 nikkor AF-I + tc20e mk2 1/60@f10 iso 400.

PP in Bibble Pro 4.10.1 & CS2.
    Nuthatch
    [​IMG]

:smile::biggrin::smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  2. Very Nice

Phil

This is a very nice photo. I am going to have to purchase a D700.

Thanks
    Elliot

3. Beautiful shot - is that a Nuthatch ?

4. Phil, that's a wonderful shot.
    Do you have others with this combo you can show us?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Hi thanks & yes get a d700 it's a very nice camera.

Phil.

:smile:

6. Hi Ianm yes it is a nuthatch.

Phil.

7. Hi Virginia yes I do have some more from today I will post some more later when I have post process them.

Phil.

Ps I will probably post them in the birds category.

:smile::biggrin::smile:

8. Fantastic! I have yet to use my 300 with the D700, but this really makes me want to!

9. Jola

Jola Guest

Very nice image. I don't have a 300/2.8, but I hope that my 200-400 also performs well with the D700 !

10. Holy smokes, Phillip!! That's a gorgeous shot in its clarity, color and sharpness. Of course you could probably create stunning images with simply a pinhole camera. ;) 

11. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

12 Meg = low resolution ?
    Do you have a bumper sticker on your car saying 'My other cameras a Hasselblad H3 with a 50 Meg sensor" ?
    :eek: :eek: 

12. That's looking more convincing that a number of 300mm shots I have seen posted, though maybe a tad over saturated in the greens. Excellent natural sharpness and life. I still need some convincing that this is the lens to replace my Canon 400mm though :cool:  as I don't strictly need 2.8, but do need 400mm and ideally without a TCon. Shame Nikon don't do a 400mm 4.0 prime.

13. Hi thanks, the 300f4 AFS nikkor and the 1.4tc is a good combination of lightweight and good optical quality, unfortunately I don't think it would be any better than the 400f5.6 canon which is a very good lens. It's unfortunate that nikon are lacking in some of the f4/5.6 zooms and primes in its range the old AIS 400 f5.6 manual focus is a cracker of a lens and needs to be reproduced with auto focus.

The greens were actually a little brighter as the sunlight was just catching the background it was shot in the neutral setting with a 5 unit boost in contrast in cs2.

Phil.

14. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Dave: Check out the Nikkor 400 3.5 ED-IF AIS in the used market. One of the best 400mm of all time.

Gregory

15. Cheers man ... nice suggestion but for my long stuff I need reliable, fast AF and ideally IS/VR/OS. If Nikon made what I really wanted I'd buy it. At the mo' seems I am looking at weighing the various compromises of reliable, fast AF, VR, 'prime like' IQ, price, weight, size ... and coolness :rolleyes:  The 200-400mm VR wins on some and loses on others, as does the 300mm VR - ho, hum :Smoking:

16. Could I use the 70-200mm f2.8 on the D700 with a teleconverter 1.4x or 1.5x so it zooms as on crop sensors but with the advantage of the better s/n ratio.

Which teleconverter would fit my needs?

17. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Thats cool, I just love banging the Nikkor AIS monkey......OO
    Nikon needs to listen to me:cool:  and make a VR AF nano coated super telephoto. The fact is with the FX format (24-36) the 300 2.8 comes up a
    little short:tongue:, which is why everyone "slaps" a 1.4 converter. I think it time for nikon to "crank out a 400 AF VR nano coated super Telephoto. :biggrin:. And while there at it Ill take a 1200 F11 ED-IF super telephoto. Nikon had new blood at the top, so get busy and give us back the greatesr photographic system every made:biggrin:. And althogh I replaced my long lost nikkor 8mm 2.8 AIS it's about time for nikon to update or at leat re-release the classic nikkor AIS line. How about the niklkor 180-600 ED zoom lens? Or the the 360-1200 ED zoom. Nikon Stop making 18-?Zoom lenses :) . The fact is a 50 1.8 Ais will give most people better shots of there Kid/family than any zoom lens. i know iv worked in a photo finishing store and had to process the average folks pictures. Nikon buiilt a system at one point. All I want is the Nikkor system back.:smile:

Gregory

18. great shot Phil

19. Hi Colin thank you.

Phil.

20. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Great shot. I had a 300 AF-I myself and it was an excellent lens. Worked great with a TC-17, and very well with a TC-20 if you stopped down and bosted the contrast and saturation a little in post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.