D700 + 300VR + Zoo = Fun!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by lanthier, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I spent a few hours at the National Zoo in Washington DC today as part of my Friday phototherapry session. It was such a gorgeous day that at times I wished I had no gear with me at all! In any case, I made my way to the bird house (not easy as the Zoo is pretty torn up with renovations). On my way I was able to capture a Cheetah for the first time (I don't recall ever seeing one) as well as some unusual birds. D700, monopod, VR on. The two bird shots are through screens...

Here are a few samples:

1. Cheetah (f2.8 1/1000)

10308zoosm1-vi.jpg

2. Scarlet Ibis (molting; f2.8, 1/100).

10308zoosm2-vi.jpg

3. Red-Legged Seriema (f2.8, 1/100).

10308zoosm3-vi.jpg

2. Nice captures! the 70-300 vr has excellent bokeh.....It's my understanding that DX lenses on a FX sensor produce around a 6 MP image. I was concerned about using my DX lenses on a future FX body but these images are very nice.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. That D700 of yours Rich is amazing...Great capture:wink:

4. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    Those pics are not from the 70-300 vr but from the Nikkor 300mm 2.8 VR.

5. Nice shots Rich! You and the D700 are working well together. Where the heck did you find a 300/2.8 VR?

6. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    70 300 vr

the 70 to 300 vr is not a DX lens !!!!! I thought it was at first, but its not. I have been considering one myself.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rich, glad to hear you enjoyed your therapy session this week. I love the colours of the Scarlet Ibis. Thanks for sharing.

8. Hey Ted, Thanks for the nice comments, yet as others have posted, this is the 300VR 2.8 Prime. The 70-300 certainly does a nice job as well, AND is an FX lens so no worry about DX mode.

9. Thanks Sal...

Thanks Robert. I look forward to meeting the scarlet beauties when they are in full feather though! Hard to shoot through the mesh, but I was pretty pleased.

10. Hi Mike,

Thanks. I found one earlier this summer used on the Nikonians site. Good price and excellent condition. I am still learning to shoot tele, I find it so much harder than close-up!

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    :eek: All wide open? Very nice results, Rich! Good stuff. You should add these to the wide open thread as well. :smile:

12. Yep, pretty amazing! I wanted to test it out some. I had been shooting it earlier in the day at f5 or so, and though of Mark... :wink:

13. Nice stuff Rich.

I plan on getting to the Long Island Game Farm this week before they close for the Winter. It will be my first outing to he zoo and I plan on using the 70-300 VR most or all of the time I'm there.

14. Thanks Robert. THe 70-300 is certainly a lighter way to go!