D700/70-300VR @ National Zoo

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by lanthier, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Family visit today to the National Zoo in DC. Wow, what a spectacular day it was today. Because this was more of a family day and less of a photography day, I went with the D700 and 70-300VR ONLY (I brought a polarizer - wrong size!). Oh well. I was impressed with the 70-300VR, got many good shots and focus was fast enough. This lens will certainly be part of my travel kit. 300mm was a great length to have at the zoo, I did not miss the 1.5 crop. I didn't really work much for these; I had more fun watching the animals, taking in the beautiful day, and watching my assistant (Photo 1 below) enjoy her day with us.

So here we go

1. Blue man group wannabee??? 70mm f7.1

81108zoo1-vi.jpg

2. I'm too sexy for my flippers 300mm f5.6

81108zoo2-vi.jpg

3. Wisdom I 300mm f5.6

[​IMG]

4. Wisdom II 300mm f5.6

"Ambika is a female Asian elephant who was born around 1948 and weighs about 7,600 pounds. "

81108zoo4-vi.jpg

5. Mei Xiang (?) 220mm f5.3

81108zoo5-vi.jpg

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    the panda is superb! I thought only the San Diego Zoo had panda's in the US. They lied to me!

3. Thanks Leo. Atlanta & Memphis too, I think... So they REALLY lied to you... :eek: Pandas have long history in DC...

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I think you and the D700 are getting along splendidly, Rich. Nice set!

5. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The seal is fantastic!!!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very nice Rich ...i love the way these nikon FX just gobble up the glass ....;-)))

7. These are excellent! I can't wait to get mine out on a day trip. We've been stuck at home for a while... :(

8. Rich,

I enjoyed viewing this series. Nice work!

Glenn

9. Nice series Rich. Love the panda!

10. Thanks to you both. We are getting along well Holmes, but I am still learning!

11. Thanks Mark, it is a new challenge, but I am getting used to it, and VERY pleased with the results!

Thanks Sonya! Why stuck? We are trying to get in a lot of family time before school starts for all of us. Tomorrow is the National Gallery and Natural History Museum...

Thanks Glenn! Loved your Chicago series, one of my favorite cities to visit...

Thanks Larry, it was a fun trip. One of the pandas was passed out and the other one was unseen, we were just hanging out, when all the sudden she comes ambling down the hill toward the water and started playing in it. Up top of the hill when we got there, the third was stripping bamboo and eating for a few minutes (behind some very dirty glass) but it was GREAT to watch!

12. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rich. I am glad you and your daughter had a nice day out. You got some good shots, I particually like "I'm too sexy for my flippers". Thanks for sharing, you and your D700 sure are a productive pair!

13. Well, my husband is working a lot. We're in a new town, and I have no sense of direction so I don't go out alone. No need for him to have to leave work to go on a "find where Sonya's lost again" hunt, LOL! Once I get a general idea of where things are I'll get out more. For now, a walk around the block or to the playground is as far as I'm going.

14. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Looks like the elephants trunk keeps growing with age (or do the legs shrink ?) !!

15. HA! That is funny. Reminds me of when we moved to northern Virginia. Every time we went out we got lost and we had a map! Good luck settling in...

16. We were wondering the same thing! Much as elderly humans lose bone density, I am sure a 7600 pound elephant would too! :eek:

17. Thanks Robert, I was particularly pleased as I did not work hard for them, and very easily got some good images. Bodes well for a travel lens for sure. So light and versatile!

18. Very nice, more please! :)

19. Thanks! I posted some florals in the macro section with the D700 and 60mm afs

20. Nice job on these, Rich. Looks to be a great combination.