1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700/85 1.4 - Loving it.

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by smodak, Jul 30, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Just finished unpacking my D700, put my D200 battery and the 85/1.4 and trying out the high iso, playing with the menu ...my 6yr. old daughter comes home from summer solutions. Reduced the iso to 200 and set the lens to wide open (1.4) and shot it...

Nothing special...just a regular snapshot, but the 85mm and the viewfinder feels so familiar ... just like my film days and the yummy bokeh.....I am going to have lots of fun with FF and fast lenses...

DSC_0013copy.
    NIKON D700    ---    85mm    f/1.4    1/1250s    ISO 200

Wide open ... straight out of the camera...resized and corners burned a bit in photoshop.

From the second page - reposted here
    DSC_0015copy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Congrats! Gorgeous photo!

3. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Thanks Sonya....I love your pics. a lot too.:smile:

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow, amazing shot! That bokeh is indeed gorgeous.

5. Dont let nute see this! NAS will be in heavy effect :biggrin: I love this pic, it's my favorite lens.

6. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Rich/Francis Thanks for the kind words...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: If anyone deserves a D700...it's nute...let's make a Nute welfare fund and buy him one :biggrin:

7. Yep, he does. I'm sad that he wasn't chosen as a beta tester for it. Nikon needs to pay him back for all the 85 1.4's and other fast glass he's sold for them.

8. Agreed.

9. wow! what a nice shot

10. Im Down for the fund :biggrin:

11. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Another one - different orientation

DSC_0015copy.

@f/1.4

12. Love this one, even more than the first. She's a stunning little girl!

13. Very Nice Shot!

14. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Thanks Cafe Team!! :Love:

15. Congrats. I should have waited for D700.

16. Hi Sam,

If you don't mind a question, you have a D3, why would you have waited for the D700 ? Is it because of the compact <relative> size of the D700 ? I wish I could afford a D3. I do realize that D700 will save you 2K and will give you a built-in flash and sensor cleaning. Just curious.

Thanks,

17. I agree with Sonya, that second one is nicer.

18. You got it. I am not a pro. I just needed great hi iso performance. I do not utilize the 12 fps as well. But I am very satisfied with D3,

19. piaoxiang

piaoxiang Guest

smodak,

Nice capture. So, is the 85mm f1.4d still as sharp as it on the DX sensor?

Thanks...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.