D700 and DR-5, shock and relief

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by rolsen, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    My first impression with DR-5 and D700 (after DR-6 and D300) was quite shocky :eek: There seemed to be no lock or rotate possibility while attaching this gadget. Ok, my bad and user error as usual. When you attach this thingy into the camera, you can actually rotate the whole thing by using some force to get it properly in level. When in place, it seems quite secure and sturdy -there's no possibility to accidentally drop this one, unlike the DR-6. There's a price you have to pay for bigger VF...the usability in this case, DR-6 was quite handy actually.

2. I cannot figure this DR5 thing out. I always have to find pliers to get the adapter off my D700. I hate the (*&ing thing!!! I am about to smash it into bits. A shame really as I love the idea of an angle finder and used the DR6 on my D300 a lot...

3. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    For the clueless among us (myself included), what is a DR-5?

Bob

4. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    You should not need pliers to remove the adapter ring. That is what the little key or pin type wrench tool supplied with the DR5 is used for.

5. Hmm, I bought it used and needed to buy a new adapter... I think the adapter came with some metal thing, but there were no instructions so I had no idea what it was for... Maybe I still have it??? Thanks for that. Maybe I won't sledgehammer it afterall... :wink:

6. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    Please be carefull :tongue: Remember to close the curtains before removing the original ring and attaching the DR-5. There's a dedicaded tool too removing this adapter ring, if it gets stuck. Bob Johnson wrote something about this subject.

I'm planning to glue my DR-5's adapter ring when I get my next D700 :biggrin:

7. I found the little wrench (how I did not think to discard this is beyond me). So now I can put the sledgehammer away... Silly design, IMHO. I agree with Bob...

8. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    I find the DR-6 superior what comes to usability.