D700 at ISO 12,800

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Joe Marques, Aug 26, 2008.

1. These are around the house snaps to try out the 70-300 VR that arrived and to see what the D700 can do @ the ridiculous ISO 12,800.

DISCLAIMER: These shot have no artistic merit, they are simply to demonstrate the sensor performance in poor light (some of you know what this disclaimer is about). :tongue:

70-300 VR @ 165mm - 1/40 - f5 - ISO 12800 handheld:
    [​IMG]

100% crop with no sharpening and only color NR in LR2:
    [​IMG]

70-300VR @ 300mm - 1/80 - f5.6 - ISO 12800 handheld:
    [​IMG]

100% crop with no sharpening and only color NR in LR2:
    [​IMG]

2. The PJs should love this camera, looks pretty good to me for such a high ISO setting.

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks for posting, Joe. Good detail with the hair, for such an incredible ISO.

4. Just wondering, Joe, if these pictures could still be better if nx is used instead of LR2.
    Don't think LR2 handles Nikons hi-iso files as well. Not that these are not good, they're actually amazing considering they were taken at iso 12800.
    Just a thought.

5. Agreed. I have all but given up on LR2, since NX2 does a much better job with NEF files--color, contrast, sharpness, that 3D feel, etc. I REALLY miss the LR2 interface though.

Craig

6. Joe the high ISO performance is impressive to say the least. And the 70-300 VR has become one of my favorite lenses. I got it from a real nice seller here on the Cafe and I got it for a good price :biggrin:

Warm regards,

7. It's certainly usable which is all you can ask for at that ISO. Not too shabby.

My pleasure, thanks for the comments.

You're probably correct and I will turn to NX2 for a try. I just default to LR2 because it's SO much faster and the colors are much improved over LR1. If NX2 was only as fast as LR2 it would be a no brainer for all my processing needs.

I resemble that remark. :wink: Yeah, silly me. Sold a terrific FX lens only to buy it again. Glad you're enjoying my old copy, not sure my new copy is as good at 300 mm. Wanna trade? :tongue:

8. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

It is not useless to know, that the top ISO of the D3/D700 is 6400. When recording raw data, there is no point to go any higher. In fact, it is detrimental, because ISO 12800 loses one stop of the highlights compared to 6400, without giving anything in exchange.

When recording JPEG in-camera, then you may have to use ISO 12800, but you should be aware of the fact, that this is nothing but "pushing the exposure" in the raw conversion (carried out by the camera in case of JPEG).

9. Gabor,

So it's better to underexpose @ ISO 6400 and push in RAW processor rather than letting the camera push it?

Thanks for your input.

10. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Certainly. Please read https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=2052542#post2052542 just about this subject, and see the preceding post with a sample demonstrating how not to do it: the wrong ISO selection caused lots of clipping (at least according to what is visible from the posted image).

I go even further. The real gain (opening up useful shadows) between 1600 and 3200, and between 3200 and 6400 is tiny. This means, that using ISO 3200 instead of pushing 1600 in raw conversion offers only a tiny advantage in the shadows (less than 1/6 stop), but loses a full stop in the highlights, one has to be careful: as soon as important highlights get clipped, go rather with the lower ISO, underexposed and increase the intensity in the raw conversion; this can be done without losing the saved highlights.

Pls note, that this does not take away anything from the D3/D700's capability. They are excellent. Most other models of Nikon and of other manufacturers are behaving the same way, but their limit is much lower.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

excellent post Gabor .....;-)

12. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Fascinating and useful info...

Thanks for enlightening us.

13. jpwing8

jpwing8 Guest

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have looked at this. Now I know I "need" a D700.

14. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    we ALL need D700s... :biggrin:

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wish my wife was privy to this ..lol
    :wink:

16. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008