D700 at ISO 1600: I'm pretty sure it's better than ISO 400 was on my D2HS

A couple of evening under-the-tent theatre samples with the 135 2 DC:

f/2:

f/2.5:

This sensor continues to please and amaze me. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys! :smile:

The advances in sensor technology do seem incredible, but I almost hope they slow down a bit.
I can only reach for my wallet so many times before coming up empty! :eek: :biggrin:

Here's another from that evening at f/2.

356901944_u5ozw-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm really liking this D700/135 2 combo -- a relatively small form factor, but an incredible capacity to gobble up light.

Thanks Kap.

Nute, you'll have your day, my friend. And you'll cause the same stir with the D700 that you did with f/1.4. :wink:

Michael,

Yup, you were right. I'm really liking the 135 DC. :smile: I think the new AF adjustment feature in the latest Nikon bodies has helped to counter the front focus that seems native to the 135 DC.
I'll further test its AF next week when I shoot some ice skating (indoors of course).
The 135 might just end up replacing the 200vr as my gymnastics lens and with the D700 give me that small rig that I've been seeking.
Still, I'll await Canon's announcements before doing any selling as the Canon 135 is an amazing lens.

Pretty sure??? If you have any doubts moving forward you should send it to me for more "formal" testing..

uugh...I wish that engine and drive train were available in a regular DX format pro body...

I predict Nikon will sell a few 135 f/2's based on your captures, not to mention a D700 or so.

I would seriously consider the 135 if it had SW focusing. I tried a 105 f/2 earlier this year and felt the lens was just too sluggish in the focusing department for wedding work. Is the 135's focus any faster on the D700? I was using the 105 on a D300 and it was far worse than my 85 f/1.4 in the focusing department. The 135 is very tempting, but the lens is long in the tooth, like many of Nikon's primes.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this post. I've been on vacation and my web access was extremely limited.

Pretty sure??? If you have any doubts moving forward you should send it to me for more "formal" testing..

uugh...I wish that engine and drive train were available in a regular DX format pro body...
Patience, Michael. I think you'll get that or better if you can hang on for another year.

I predict Nikon will sell a few 135 f/2's based on your captures, not to mention a D700 or so.

I would seriously consider the 135 if it had SW focusing. I tried a 105 f/2 earlier this year and felt the lens was just too sluggish in the focusing department for wedding work. Is the 135's focus any faster on the D700? I was using the 105 on a D300 and it was far worse than my 85 f/1.4 in the focusing department. The 135 is very tempting, but the lens is long in the tooth, like many of Nikon's primes.

Thanks, Carl.
Yes, the 135 does seem old, but that's part of its charm -- metal components, old fashioned build, yesterday's craftsmanship.
Still, I sure wish it had AF-S AF. The AF is actually pretty quick, noticeably faster than my 180. A quick peak at some ice skating shots showed that it did a decent job.

Wowsa, they are sooo clean

Thanks. It's a wonderful sensor! :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom