1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700, Auto ISO, 14-24, & Fort Niagara

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Geof, Sep 2, 2008.

1. I thought I'd try out the new toys....err, tools (yea, yea that's right they're tools). :smile: I got the 14-24 a couple of days before the camera and after reading the Auto ISO thread I thought I'd give it a shot (or in this case about 100 shots). I'll definitely be using this feature more as it proved to be very convenient (ISO's varied from 200 to 3200). I also tried De-lighting and I thought it proved useful on several shots (although I have to use this feature more to fully understand and exploit its capabilities). I also have to learn the nuances of the 14-24 lens. Some shots turned out stellar but the distortion in some is rather obvious (the images tell the story here, witness the egg shaped canon balls on the one hand and the nice non-distorted window on the other). I do like the lens though and think the colors are excellent. I only used that one lens today and purposely left the others back in the car along with the flash.

102577686.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

102577681.jpg

102577685.jpg

102577683.jpg

102577688.jpg

102577682.jpg

102577689.jpg

102577687.jpg

2. Great photos - The 14-24 and D700 makes photography fun again!

3. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

Nice shots! I need to spend some time with this lens on my D700. Like you, I need to get a handle on the distortion. In the shots I've taken, it seems almost random at 14mm...

4. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Fine pics, you have an understanding for the graphic in a picture.

5. Thanks for the comments. I enjoyed my day as a tourist - this Fort was interesting to visit and provided plenty of photo ops (I used to call these Kodak moments, how times have changed).

In my experience it's really critical to hold the lens level (front to back) to negate any perspective distortion. An example of this is the leaning buildings in the shot with the 3 canon's (where the lens was pointing slightly downward). On the other hand, I thought I had the camera pretty level in the shot of the canon in the courtyard with the barracks in the background. The building is geometrically fine but those egg shapped canon balls just aren't right.:redface: Next time I'll backup and not use such a wide (14mm) focal length.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  6. Very nice photos....that combo does'nt get any better.

7. Thanks!
    I agree regarding the combo - I wouldn't have one without the other (although my wallet isn't happy about that). It's nice to be able to go wide and that lens is a real sweetheart.

8. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Excellent. I have recently purchased this lens and can't wait to put it on my D700.

9. Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing your shots from this rather fun combo!

10. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Where is the Auto ISO thread Geoff? I can't find it.

11. Here it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Thanks Geoff - I found it just after asking :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.