D700- Baby bear, Papa bear, now Momma bear?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Gary Mayo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Anybody here think this blending of two cameras is a little like what Fuji did with the S5?

To offer a sensor that is the same after a camera has been out using that sensor for 18 months is foolish in today's fast paced technology marketplace. If this offering would have been 14 or 16 or 18MP, then it would grab some headlines.

I think this effort to make another D3 in a smaller D300 body with the same old sensor is an error in judgment. And the viewfinder is only 95%!

From what I see released so far about this camera, it does not offer up anything not already offered on the two flagship cameras it offers now except less viewfinder.

So why the Momma bear offering?

Who is going to get this without a battery grip? No person that I know of. So once you saddle this with a grip, you have a $3500 camera. Once you add D3 batteries and a charger, you now have $3800. The D3 will be at $3995 in a month, it is already below $4500.

So to save a hundred bucks or a few hundred bucks, people are going to order a two piece body, striped down version of the D3?

Not me! Not interested. Give me the 24MP offering hinted at over the past months. I don't want a compromise camera that tries to do everything to everybody.

Nikon, IMHO, this offering is a fairytale straight out of the three bears. I'll keep my D3 & D300!

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Gary, don't take offense, but as someone who has an apparent deep pocket when it comes to hobbies, your assessment seems a little warped. The D3 is more than a few hundred dollars more expensive than the real "street" price this camera will bring.

First, you're right - most people will want the grip at around $250. Now we're up to $3250 (msrp). Most people don't already have the D3 (or D2 series), so the EL4 isn't necessary. Another EL3 would be nice, though, so let's tack on another $45. Now we're up to $3295 (msrp).

This is still over $1000 less than the street price of the D3. Great if you can sneeze over than kind of money, but I sure can't. Its going to be a struggle for me to get one, but I'm gonna make it happen. The D3 is just out of my reach. Glad you can afford it, though.

I'll take the momma bear, and be glad I can.

3. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

I will.

Some of us have budgetary limitations, and that camera will likely cost close to $7000 given what it will be competing against. It does bring up another temptation and one I might be quite content with if I can't afford a D700 this year, and that will be to buy a smaller body, more affordable D3x next summer (you heard it here first, that's my prediction).

That's perfectly understandable, but I like the idea of two smaller bodies covering both formats with one grip that boosts their fps; but I'm still debating the utility of the MB-D10 for my purposes.

4. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Just The Facts Mam

First they gave us the Corvette and the Camaro, now we are being offered a Firebird?

I think the horn in this car sounds a lot like the horns in the other two cars. Honk Honk (not to be confused with Beep Beep)

FXImage Sensor Format
    CMOSImage Sensor Type
    36.0 x 23.9mmSensor Size
    12.87 millionTotal Pixels
    12.1 millionEffective Pixels
    FX-format
    (L) 4,256 x 2,832
    (M) 3,184 x 2,120
    (S) 2,128 x 1,416

DX-format
    (L) 2,784 x 1,848
    (M) 2,080 x 1,384
    (S) 1,392 x 920Image Area (pixels)
    5 frames per secondTop Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution
    FX-format
    CH: Up to 5 frames per second
    CL: Up to 4 frames per second
    DX-format
    CH: Up to 5 frames per second
    CL: Up to 4 frames per secondContinuous Shooting Options
    3 in. diagonalLCD Monitor Size
    Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD
    Super DensityLCD Monitor Type
    920,000 DotsLCD Monitor Resolution
    170-degree wide-viewing angleLCD Monitor Angle of View
    Brightness, 7 levelsLCD Monitor Adjustments
    30 sec.Slowest Shutter Speed
    1/8000 sec.Fastest Shutter Speed
    YesBulb Shutter Setting
    YesMirror Lock Up
    200 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EVLowest Standard ISO Sensitivity
    6400 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EVHighest Standard ISO Sensitivity
    Hi-2 (ISO 25,600 equivalent) Highest Expanded ISO Sensitvity
    Lo-1 (ISO 100 equivalent), in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV
    Hi-1 (ISO-12,800 equivalent), in 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV steps
    Hi-2 (ISO-25,600 equivalent), 1 EV step
    Expanded ISO Sensitivity Options
    CompactFlash© (Type I/II, compliant with UDMA)
    MicroDrive©Storage Media
    Uncompressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW)
    Uncompressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)
    Compressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW, Lossless compressed): approx. 60-80 percent
    Compressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW, Compressed): approx. 45-60 percent
    JPEG: JPEG-baseline-compliant; can be selected from Size priority and Optimal Quality
    TIFF (RGB)Storage System
    Compliant with DCF 2.0
    DPOF
    EXIF 2.21File System
    Programmed Auto (P) with Flexible Program
    Shutter-Priority Auto (S)
    Aperture-Priority Auto (A)
    Manual (M)Exposure Modes
    1,005-pixel RGB sensor 3D Color Matrix Metering IIExposure Metering System
    0 to 20 EV (Matrix or Center-weighted metering);
    2 to 20 EV (Spot metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)
    Metering Range
    CPU
    AIExposure Meter Coupling
    ±5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EVEV in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 1Exposure Compensation
    YesExposure Lock
    Yes
    From 2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EVExposure Bracketing
    LiveView [LV] mode
    Continuous low-speed [CL] mode; 1-4 frames per second Continuous high-speed [CH] mode; 5 frames per second Shutter Release Modes
    Sun
    Shade
    Fluorescent
    Incandescent
    Flash
    Preset
    Fine Tune by Kelvin Color Temperature Setting
    AutoWhite Balance
    Yes, 2 to 9 exposures, in increments of 1, 2 or 3White Balance Bracketing
    Handheld mode
    Tripod modeLiveView Shooting
    Full frame
    Zoom
    Slideshow
    Histogram
    Highlight point display
    Auto image rotation
    Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments) Playback Functions
    Hi-speed USB
    NTSC
    PAL
    HDMI
    10-pin TerminalInterface
    Nikon F mountLens Mount
    1) Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported

2) DX AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except FX-format (36x24)/image size

3) AF NIKKOR other than type G or D*2: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II

4) AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except auto-focus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II

5) Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data
    Compatible Lenses
    Equivalent to angle produced by lens focal length (1.5 times when DX format is selected)Picture Angle
    SLR-type with fixed eye-level pentaprismViewfinder
    Approx. 95%Viewfinder Frame Coverage
    -3 to +1m-1Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment
    18mmViewfinder Eyepoint
    Quick-return typeReflex Mirror
    No
    Type B BriteView Clear Matte VI screen with superimposed AF points Interchangeable Focusing Screens
    Approx. 0.72x (50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity)Viewfinder Magnification
    Instant-return type with depth-of-field preview buttonLens Aperture
    YesDepth-of-field Control
    Autofocus TTL phase detection, 51 focus points
    (15 cross-type sensors) by Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus module; Detection: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F); AF fine adjustment possible. AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 1.6-9.8 ft./0.5-3.0m)
    Autofocus System
    51Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points
    Yes
    Records values for up to 12 user selected lensesAutofocus Fine Tune
    Single-servo AF (S)
    Continuous-servo (C)
    Manual
    Auto
    Manual (M) with electronic rangefinderFocus Modes
    YesSingle-point AF Mode
    Yes
    Number of AF points: 9, 21, 51 and 51 with 3D-trackingDynamic AF Mode
    YesAuto-area AF Mode
    AE-L/AF-L button
    Half press of shutter-release button (single-point AF in AF-S)Focus Lock
    Standard
    Neutral
    Vivid
    Monochrome
    Nine User-customizable settingsPicture Control
    Trim
    D-Lighting
    Color Balance
    Image Overlay
    Filter Effects
    Monochrome
    Red-eye correction In-Camera Image Editing
    Yes
    Manual pop-up typeBuilt-in Flash
    YesExternal Flash Shoe
    Standard ISO 518 hot-shoe contact with safety lockExternal Flash Shoe Type
    YesDust-Off Reference Photo
    Yes
    Also visible in LiveView ModesVirtual Horizon Camera Indicator
    YesSave/Load Camera settings
    Yes
    Built-in Commander Mode 2 Groups: A and B Nikon Creative Lighting System Compatibility
    up to 1/250Flash Sync Speed
    up to 1/250X-Sync Speed
    up to 1/8000FP High Speed Sync
    Front-curtain sync (normal)
    Slow sync
    Rear-curtain sync
    Red-eye reduction
    Red-eye reduction with slow syncFlash Sync Modes
    1) TTL flash control with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor; i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL fill-flash available with SB-900, SB-800, SB-600 or SB-400
    2) Auto aperture (AA): Available with SB-900, SB-800 and CPU lens
    3) Non-TTL auto (A): Available with SB-900, SB-800, 28, 27 or 22s
    4) Range-priority manual (GN): Available with SB-900, SB-800Flash Control
    YesFlash Sync Terminal
    YesAccessory Shoe
    Electronically controlled timer with duration of 2, 5, 10 or 20 sec.Self-timer
    YesWorld Time Setting
    YesDate, Time and Daylight Savings Time Settings
    RechargeableBattery Type
    EN-EL3e Lithium-ion BatteryBattery / Batteries
    EH-5a AC AdapterAC Adaptor
    MH-18a Quick ChargerBattery Charger
    YesImage Comment
    NoVoice Memo Function
    1000 shots (CIPA)
    Battery Life (shots per charge)
    ¼-20Tripod Socket
    Width 5.8 in. (147mm)
    Height 4.8 in. (123mm)
    Depth 3.0 in. (77mm)
    Approx. Dimensions
    35 oz. (995g)Approx. Weight
    Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, SwedishSupported Languages
    MB-D10 Mulit-power Battery Pack, WT-4a Wireless Transmitter, DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece, EH-5a AC Adapter, Capture NX 2 Software, Camera Control Pro 2 Software, Image Authentication SoftwareOptional Accessories
    EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-18a Quick Charger, UC-E4 USB Cable, EG-D100 Video Cable, AN-D700 Camera Strap, BF-1A Body Cap, BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cover, BM-9 LCD Monitor Cover, Software Suite CD-ROM

5. This post is insane.

6. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    this is the camera Ive been waiting for! I never bought the grip for my d200, dont need it. Full frame, durable body, perfect size. The only thing that stopped me from getting the d3 besides the price is the size and weight of it.

7. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    D700 is perfect for most of us. 12 MP is more than enough for me. Having 14 or 16 MP wouldn't change anything. That would barely give you any more cropping room or resolution. 3k + 250 for the grip + 30 for a set of eneloops and a charger. That's hardly a few hundred of the D3. And saying no one will get the d700 without the grip is a ridiculous egocentric fallacy. Just because YOU would get the grip with the camera doesn't mean everyone else would too.

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Choice is a good thing. The D3 is a big camera. Which is okay for me, Im a big guy, but not everyone wants or needs 8fps. As far as the 95% veiwfinder one of my favorite Nikon's was(still is) a FM2 and I think it has 95% veiwfinder or maby 97% so for me thats no big deal. As long as the veiwfinder lets me manually focus my Nikkor AIS glass, than Im good.
    By the way I took the time to read the online brochure. There where some really nice photo's and some good info. I really hope nikon releases a printed version like they did in the old days. I really miss them.
    Personally I really think this is a good step for Nikon. When they come out with a D600 ? that is full frame 24-36(FX) and a thousand bucks cheaper. I'll get a couple for my kids.
    As it is my hard drive is full so Im off tomorrow to get more ram.
    So A 24 Mp camera's sounds good, but do I really need it?
    My D3 clicking at CS eats more than Gigs enough for this cowboy.

9. I would much rather have the D700 over the D3. I do not want the battery grip , the extra weight , or the extra price. The D700 is just what many people are waiting for. The Fuji S5 is not a good comparison. Nikon you have a choice of models , where Fuji you did not.

10. Kadath

Kadath

Nov 21, 2007
    NJ
    You're crazy. This is the perfect complement to the D300 for me. Clean ISO 3600 in a compact body? Yes please!

11. You got that right ..

12. So what are the major differences between the D3 and the D700?

13. Well the big difference for me is that it is smaller , less weight , and cheaper.
    But of course if you need the grip , than it probably won't be any smaller or lighter or much cheaper. I do not need or want the grip , and I'm sure there is many others that feel the same way.

14. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Viewfinder

Dual CF card slots

Possibly AF

15. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I'll take a Firebird over my Sunfire anyday. With clean ISO1600 to boot.

16. Shutter noise... Put a D3 and a D300 next to each other and fire the shutters in turn... That D3 shutter is LOUD!

17. Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  18. Okay, Gary, I'm used to you being a little more logical, you need to rethink it.
    1) the sensor has been out for less than a year. Just shy of 8 months in the hands of users.
    2) The same sensor is reused constantly in almost any brand. In nikon's case... do you think the D70 was an error in judgement? It was a D100 in a slightly smaller body with the same old sensor.
    That same old sensor then went into the D50 and now D40, and it keeps getting better and cheaper with each generation. That sensor is 6 years old!
    Do you think the D40x/D60 are errors in judgement? There's a solid 3 year old sensor. D200 used it first, then the slower version in the D80 about 9 months later, then in the D40x/60 in 2007 and 2008.
    Do you like the D300? It's no coincidence it's a Sony CMOS at 4288x2848 pixels. So was the D2x. It's just an evolution of that same sensor with improved electronics getting significantly better image quality.
    3) that 95% viewfinder is more than plenty for most people. I like 100% VFs to be sure, but they aren't always perfectly aligned to be honest. That alignment and higher tolerance costs money to implement. I'd rather the price point not be even $200 higher to accommodate a 100% VF.

19. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
  20. ceebs

ceebs

Jun 4, 2008
    London
    Oh Please! Not another Gary Mayo "I'll never buy it ---Ooops I went and bought it" thread