D700- Baby bear, Papa bear, now Momma bear?

P

PeterRH

Gary with a few of your posts on D700 discussions saying you don't want it, and now this, it is coming off like you are annoyed with the announcement D700 because it wasn't the D3x......strange.

There will be a very big market amongst pro's, semi-pro's, and pro-sumers for a lighter (but still pro-quality) body with the D3 sensor capabilities.

And if the basic specs are right they've improved on the D3 in this version with added features eg sensor cleaning (assuming that it works properly).

This really (really!) is not an error in judgement on Nikon's part at all.

Imho, a D700 has only two minor issues: the viewfinder and the possibility to have 5:4 straight in the camera, but it has also a great plus, very useful now and then when you want to travel light: a built-in speedlight. No wonders can be made with that, but sometimes a simple fill-in flash is required and having it straight on the camera can help a lot.

Gary with a few of your posts on D700 discussions saying you don't want it, and now this, it is coming off like you are annoyed with the announcement D700 because it wasn't the D3x......strange.

There will be a very big market amongst pro's, semi-pro's, and pro-sumers for a lighter (but still pro-quality) body with the D3 sensor capabilities.

And if the basic specs are right they've improved on the D3 in this version with added features eg sensor cleaning (assuming that it works properly).

This really (really!) is not an error in judgement on Nikon's part at all.
Agreed. How many 5D's have Canon sold? This is the first time Nikon have had something to compete with the 5D seriously, and it does so very well.

The original post is what i was expecting to eventually hear from some D3 users that might not need all the D3 has to offer over a D700.

Most who could, bought the D3 for low-loise work or just plain and simply lower-noise, some for it being full-frame...the 9 FPS, 300.000 shutter cycle, dual-card slot or integrated grip are a well payed bonus which make more sense on the hands of actual working PJ's or sports photogs.

The introduction of a D700 will make some very happy (those who skipped the D300 and waited for a D700, those who got a D300 but couldn't afford a D3) or those who wanted full frame and still have a D2X on their bags.

To some D3 owners (with the exception of working pro's), this annoucement might have a bitter taste since they bought an awesome but very expensive camera recently and most likely a D700 would do just fine for most of their applications. It's how this works....always....remember the D200 vs D2X...lots of complaints from D2 owners...or even D300 vs D2Xs.....now it's all about justifying how much better a D3 can be over a D700....enjoy your camera without feeling the need to diminish what seems like another awesome piece of kit from Nikon, which will allow much more Nikon shooters the access to the same IQ that fewer are already enjoying on their D3's.

P.S: i'm not planning on getting a D700 anytime soon...:tongue:

AFS

Ah, Sandro, you neglected to mention those who bought both and now want all 3 :wink:
I can't help but wonder if a D700 might serve my needs to shoot along with D3 better than the D300 though.

P

PeterRH

I can't help but wonder if a D700 might serve my needs to shoot along with D3 better than the D300 though.
Interesting question, for me I'm more likely than ever now to keep a D2x alongside the D700 for DX 'reach'.

I'm also looking forward to having the remote commander flash on a pro-body...with the SU800 on the D2x and the D700 (presumably) having the same remote commander as the D300, I can use two bodies with different lenses in a remote flash setup.

But for me now the question becomes what the street price will be for the D700 and whether there will be any downward pressure on the D3.

Ah, Sandro, you neglected to mention those who bought both and now want all 3 :wink:
Those are the Elite, Harrison....:biggrin:

I use the D2Hs and D300, if i eventually ditch one, which won't happen anytime soon after getting the Noct, it will most likely be the D300. To use more than one camera, one being justified as backup, it only makes sense to me if they're significantly different, since usually, camera's don't break down everyday. A D3 and D300 pairing makes sense, one DX for telephoto work is useful. 2 D3's or 2 D300's makes only sense for working pro's on assignments.

I just want FX for low light and the ability to maximize my telephoto lenses. I was thinking about selling my 300mm 2.8, but not anymore. My 500mm should be fun again too! Shooting at 6400 ISO is definitely worth $3000! 12mp is also the sweet spot. Editing, and PJ work are easier at this file size.

That link comparing the size difference between the D3 and the D700 is going to sway many folks towards the D700. That and the price. Iv been surfing the nikon link with the D-700 brochure. Im telling you that camera looks pretty sweet. I think the D2X is next. Some new primes.:biggrin: Good times for Nikon user's

AFS

I just want FX for low light and the ability to maximize my telephoto lenses. I was thinking about selling my 300mm 2.8, but not anymore. My 500mm should be fun again too! Shooting at 6400 ISO is definitely worth $3000! 12mp is also the sweet spot. Editing, and PJ work are easier at this file size.
Jonathan, you're gonna go absolutely crazy with joy. The D3 and by extension the D700 are a photojournalist's wildest dreams come true. Check your PM box in a minute...

I think this effort to make another D3 in a smaller D300 body with the same old sensor is an error in judgment. And the viewfinder is only 95%!
I disagree. I'm long bored of the pixel race. More would be fine if it came with the same high iso performance, but until then I'd rather have 12mp. And a 95% viewfinder with sensor cleaning and a pop up flash is a fair compromise for my needs too.

Who is going to get this without a battery grip? No person that I know of.
I would. I'd like a full frame sensor dslr, and I don't want to carry the huge D3 around. While perfect for professional work, it's a little in your face for day to day photography. And I don't need more than 5 fps.

I'll keep my D3 & D300!
If I had a D3 and D300, so would I. But I don't. I only want one camera, so this half way house is well suited to me.

Fairly new at all this, just beginning to purchase lenses. Have the d-80, was just going to trade in my 18-135 kit lens for a possible expensive nikon 17-55, (or tamron, juggling this in my head), thinking of a tokina 12-24 as well later, and currently have 70-300vr lens and 50 1.8 lens. Seriously considering the D300 for the future,and the D700 came out today:
http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/07/the_agile_new_nikon_d700_fxfor.php

I was concentrating more on building up great lenses for the future, and then when I had more experience getting the D300.

So this is confusing for me at this point.... building up a new lens collection for my D80, and eventually better camera...... can't think of a DX lens collection then at this point, or should I???.... storage.... etc issues, I am so new at this, but then again, when one spends so much $$$ on a camera, and lenses, you may as well think of the future and what is out there.

I guess I better play it safe, and just look at what can be used as FX rather than DX from now on. And be glad I don't have more than the three lenses I currently own. Thank you for any input you all have here.

Then I must be insane too

This post is insane.
Because I agree with Gary (mostly). I dump my 2x for a 300 because I prefer the smaller body size. That said, here's how I see it this morning

D700+
Better High ISO
A few nice to haves like the electronic level in the viewfinder

D700-
95% Viewfinder
Much higher cost
AF is now all bunched-up in the center

In terms of the sensors. I don't understand the FF crowd. I hear about wanting my 28 to be a 28 and I hear about wanted more limted DOF. To me both of these are non-issues, a lens is a tool. Grab one that will do the job that you want and forget about the number (that's what people did in the film days with 35mm and MF). As to the DOF, try shooting with one of the 1.4 primes and tell me you really need less DOF. In most cases, its already razor thin.

I know someday I'll get a FF Nikon, but for me, I need more than the D700 to pay the premium. YMMV.

W

wozarangefinder

Gary,
I think you will find a lot of people will be buying the D700 without the grip - not everyone needs 8/9 frames a second and the size/weight reduction is a real boon.
I know there are places where I don't want to be walking with a D3 as it screams 'steal me!' due to it's size whereas a D700 with say a 35mm lens is far more discreet. For street /studio/eventing stuff the D700 looks great and eventually when the price drops to a more realistic level I will buy one to use along side my Fuji S5, another camera you dislike but I love for skintones/dynamic range even though the menus are terrible.
Different people have different needs/wants and it's good to see Nikon listening to what consumers want.

wow, I must say, I wasn't high on anticipation on this one, but now that it's here... it's the hot sh%&! totally kills my plans for DX lens upgrades, cause I'm so buying this one (or rather, pick a used one up in about three years ;) ). having handled 35mm for a while now, I can totally appreciate the need for full frame. a reasonably sized body, high ISO, FF viewfinder (95% is fine), metering with AI glass, aahhh...nice :)
I wonder what Canon will do to get back on the cutting edge though, interesting times :)

Real Name
David
I'll buy it, and without the grip. Weight is the big one for me. Got tendonitis in my right arm last year, there is no way I can use the D3 or D700 w/grip for 8-10 hours at a wedding.

Actually I was thinking there are a few things I could have done without, although I know it would not have effected the price.

• Basic live view Auto focus mode would have been enough.
  • Virtual horizon might be nice, but grid lines on would have been fine.
  • FPS could have been lower without bothering me at all.

Now I just have to think about what items to sell :confused:.

In terms of the sensors. I don't understand the FF crowd. I hear about wanting my 28 to be a 28 and I hear about wanted more limted DOF. To me both of these are non-issues, a lens is a tool. Grab one that will do the job that you want and forget about the number (that's what people did in the film days with 35mm and MF). As to the DOF, try shooting with one of the 1.4 primes and tell me you really need less DOF. In most cases, its already razor thin.
I don't hear about wanting 28 to be 28. Could be 27 or 29, no matter. I agree with you a lens is just a tool. With FX v DX there is the trade off between wide angle lenses and telephoto lenses. But the limited DOF is not a non issue. You may not need less DOF with a 1.4 prime, but you don't get 1.4 zooms. Lenses like the 24/28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 will really benefit from the ability to have shallower DOF (for same distance to object and field of view).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom