D700- Baby bear, Papa bear, now Momma bear?

... Who is going to get this without a battery grip? No person that I know of.

Gary, you need a wider circle of friends :wink: Most everyone I know of in my circle would want a camera that is lighter and smaller. I have a grip for my D200, never use it. Makes the camera too big, hard to pack for hiking.

Most folks I know use the 5D and don't want a grip. A couple use the 1DsMII, but wish it was smaller.

Someone like Galen Rowell might have made the move to digital for a camera like this.

BTW, sticking with my D200, seems to get decent shots for me. :smile:

David CHin posted a sample web site over on DPreview and the iso 400 px did show noise. Note sure if it was the 100% pixel peep version only but it sure looked noisier then the D3.

T

TonyBeach

Someone like Galen Rowell might have made the move to digital for a camera like this.
Thom Hogan believes Galen Rowell would have made that transition with the D200. I imagine the D3 would have been a harder sell for Galen because of the larger body and that he would have heartily welcomed the D300.

I think that the only people that are not happy that the D700 was just announced, are people that just dished out the cash not too long ago on a D3. We've been asking Nikon for a body like this one for several years now, and now that is here there is no reason to tear it apart trying to find what is lacking.
The fact that Nikon released a body so soon it saying that they are really working R&D and ready do compete!
They are trying to bring customers from other camera systems, and the people that have a 5D are looking really hard at this new body.

I know Gary you are waiting for the full frame 24MP sensor from Nikon to come out, my advise to you is to just wait a little longer. Remember that the Sony sensor was just announced not too long ago, so I am sure they are just getting rid of the bugs in it.
You might just have your $7-8K body before the end of the year. For the time being work on your technique with you your new toys!

I don't hear about wanting 28 to be 28. Could be 27 or 29, no matter. I agree with you a lens is just a tool. With FX v DX there is the trade off between wide angle lenses and telephoto lenses. But the limited DOF is not a non issue. You may not need less DOF with a 1.4 prime, but you don't get 1.4 zooms. Lenses like the 24/28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 will really benefit from the ability to have shallower DOF (for same distance to object and field of view).
I already own 3 1.4 primes (but I do wish they'd update them)

One can get a really good 1.4 prime for a few hundred $ - the 50 f/1.4 is a great lens.

Anybody here think this blending of two cameras is a little like what Fuji did with the S5?

To offer a sensor that is the same after a camera has been out using that sensor for 18 months is foolish in today's fast paced technology marketplace. If this offering would have been 14 or 16 or 18MP, then it would grab some headlines.

I think this effort to make another D3 in a smaller D300 body with the same old sensor is an error in judgment. And the viewfinder is only 95%!

From what I see released so far about this camera, it does not offer up anything not already offered on the two flagship cameras it offers now except less viewfinder.

So why the Momma bear offering?

Who is going to get this without a battery grip? No person that I know of. So once you saddle this with a grip, you have a $3500 camera. Once you add D3 batteries and a charger, you now have $3800. The D3 will be at $3995 in a month, it is already below $4500.

So to save a hundred bucks or a few hundred bucks, people are going to order a two piece body, striped down version of the D3?

Not me! Not interested. Give me the 24MP offering hinted at over the past months. I don't want a compromise camera that tries to do everything to everybody.

Nikon, IMHO, this offering is a fairytale straight out of the three bears. I'll keep my D3 & D300!
wow are you wrong on this one Gary....
the D700 is perfect for everyone who couldn't afford the D3. Most of us didn't really want all the speed in the D3 and if I didn't have a D3 already I'd get a D700 now

Remember...we still do not know which camera this picture is from

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We all thought it was from the the D700, well now we know it is not!

The original post is what i was expecting to eventually hear from some D3 users that might not need all the D3 has to offer over a D700.

Most who could, bought the D3 for low-loise work or just plain and simply lower-noise, some for it being full-frame...the 9 FPS, 300.000 shutter cycle, dual-card slot or integrated grip are a well payed bonus which make more sense on the hands of actual working PJ's or sports photogs.

The introduction of a D700 will make some very happy (those who skipped the D300 and waited for a D700, those who got a D300 but couldn't afford a D3) or those who wanted full frame and still have a D2X on their bags.

To some D3 owners (with the exception of working pro's), this annoucement might have a bitter taste since they bought an awesome but very expensive camera recently and most likely a D700 would do just fine for most of their applications. It's how this works....always....remember the D200 vs D2X...lots of complaints from D2 owners...or even D300 vs D2Xs.....now it's all about justifying how much better a D3 can be over a D700....enjoy your camera without feeling the need to diminish what seems like another awesome piece of kit from Nikon, which will allow much more Nikon shooters the access to the same IQ that fewer are already enjoying on their D3's.

P.S: i'm not planning on getting a D700 anytime soon...:tongue:

good post and i'm one who got a d3 and would have rathered had a d700 but whatever you buy there will always be a better & cheaper one available soon after

I one of those that just recently dished out 5 Gs for a D3 and Nikon bringing out the D700 makes me smile ear to ear. The big embraces the small. I can already see my Nikkor 24 AIS on this baby(D700) glued around my neck. Very unobtrusive. Nikon Rocks

I can't agree with you on this. Most of my shooting occurs while on hikes or vacations and there is no need for me to have a full grip camera - I welcome a lighter body and a savings of almost 2k.

Additionally, I have a few extra batteries from my D300 and the fact that I can use them is an added bonus.

Regarding the viewfinder, to me this is a non issue and I don' think the specs are as bad as some people think.

D700
95%
0.72X
36 x 23.9 mm sensor
viewfinder = (36 * 0.95 * 0.72) x (23.9 * 0.95 * 0.72) = 24.624 x 16.3476 mm

D3
100%
0.7X
36 x 23.9 mm sensor
viewfinder = (36 * 0.7) x (23.9 * 0.7) = 25.2 x 16.73 mm

D300
100%
0.94X
23.6 x 15.8 mm sensor
viewfinder = (23.6 * 0.94) x (15.8 * 0.94) = 22.184 x 14.852 mm

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gary Mayo

Thanks to everyone for a resounding good thread.

It will be interesting to see who purchases this camera. My piggy bank is waiting on more mega pixels to satisfy my iPF8000.

I will continue with the car comparisons. How long did Chevy use the LS1 engine in production cars? 8 years. How long have they been using the LS2? 4 years.

You got to remember the sensor is the heart of the camera, just like the engine is the heart of a car. It takes the most amount of time and effort to develop and perfect. In a lot of cases it makes a lot more sense to perfect the existing sensor instead of develop a new one. Nikon spent HUGE amounts of money and time developing the sensor for the D3. You better believe it's going to be around for a while.

G

Gary Mayo

One good thing which might tip the balance for some, the D700 comes with a factory supplied LCD cover!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom