D700- Baby bear, Papa bear, now Momma bear?

Any D80 users or D70 users (lol, addiction here!) who've been thinking about upgrading down the years, thinking of this option.....???? You have no D200 or D300 yet, and don't have lots in lenses yet..... what do you think???:confused: My family thinks I've lost my mind, (mom, you can help me out with college for that!!) as I've been saving $1000 for a new lens..... now it just may go into this camera at $3000 down the line.... just dunno....I would NEVER get the D3 as an amateur, but the D700?? We will just have to see it when it arrives, in August maybe; time will tell.....:biggrin:

One good thing which might tip the balance for some, the D700 comes with a factory supplied LCD cover!
Hopefully it's more secure than the one on my D300. That one fell in a river the day I unboxed it.

One good thing which might tip the balance for some, the D700 comes with a factory supplied LCD cover!
Well that does it, I'm writing a letter of complaint to Nikon... I bought my D3 and it didn't come with such a thing, and yet all the cheaper models do... :mad:

I like getting free things that I can keep in the boxes in the loft... :wink:

AFS

Well that does it, I'm writing a letter of complaint to Nikon... I bought my D3 and it didn't come with such a thing, and yet all the cheaper models do... :mad:

I like getting free things that I can keep in the boxes in the loft... :wink:

The difference is probably a combination of a greater viewfinder protrusion on the D3 and the fact that there is more camera below the LCD that would be impacted first.

Any D80 users or D70 users (lol, addiction here!) who've been thinking about upgrading down the years, thinking of this option.....????
Yep, I've had my D70 for close to 4 years. I was choosing between the D200 & D300, and decided on the latter. I've now been thinking about the D700, but I need to know more about any new lenses they'll bring out (ie, 24/28-105/120 f4 or f2.8). I may still go with the D300.

You have no D200 or D300 yet, and don't have lots in lenses yet..... what do you think???:confused:
I have a few lenses :) If you need more lenses, and the D700 would mean you can't get them, a D200 or D300 might be a wiser choice.

Thank you Nikon, D700 seems wish came true on 01 Jul. Perhaps wait few months for dust to settle and price to drop a bit and maybe take the plunge. "Real" reviews ought to come out soon, we will hear more on this baby bear. Hoping there may be some tweaks on D3 performance, time will show...

For me as no doubt for many others full size sensor in a body similar in size and mechanical performance to D300/D200 with many common accessories (except viewfinder) is ideal. D3 style low light performance and true wide angle performance is a true winner. Lenswise i am into fast FX glass with exception 18-200mm, which by the way coupled to D200 will become my work kit (construction industry) - i do photography as a hobby.

Those fortunate enough to have already both D3 & D300 wish to get hold of D3x soon and why not D700 too (in case of misplacing arctic butterfly).

Wish you all sweet dreams of the new D700,

Mladen

Digital bodies D300 & D200, Film bodies F80 & F4S
Primes 16f2.8AFD, 50f1.4AFD, 85f1.4AFD, Zooms 18-35 AFD, 70-200f2.8 AFS VR, 18-200 AFS VR DX
Other SB-800 & Canon 500D
Legacy Pentax LX & K1000 with 17-28 Fisheye Zoom, 24f2.8, 35f2.8, 50f1.4, 85f2, 135f3.5 & 200f4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17002757@N08/

J

JCole

In the old days of 35mm film cameras, Nikon had many models that seemed to overlap and offered little bits here and there. I don't feel that the $3,000 price tag is out of line when compared to the D3. This camera(D700) is making me rethink my desire to get the D300 later this year. For about the same price as the D3 alone you can have the D300 and D700 plus grip, best of both FX and DX.

Any D80 users or D70 users (lol, addiction here!) who've been thinking about upgrading down the years, thinking of this option.....???? You have no D200 or D300 yet, and don't have lots in lenses yet..... what do you think???:confused: My family thinks I've lost my mind, (mom, you can help me out with college for that!!) as I've been saving $1000 for a new lens..... now it just may go into this camera at $3000 down the line.... just dunno....I would NEVER get the D3 as an amateur, but the D700?? We will just have to see it when it arrives, in August maybe; time will tell.....:biggrin:
Yes, talk about sitting out on some dances! My D70s has served well for 3 years now, I've sat out the D200, D80, D300 (not even going to the D3 possibility!!!) I was thinking of the D300 later this year, but now with the D700 announcement. Only major thing to hold me back is my main lens, being 17-55, would need to be change out, and I wouldn't be able to afford a new camera and new lens!

N

Nuteshack

Yes, talk about sitting out on some dances! My D70s has served well for 3 years now, I've sat out the D200, D80, D300 (not even going to the D3 possibility!!!) I was thinking of the D300 later this year, but now with the D700 announcement. Only major thing to hold me back is my main lens, being 17-55, would need to be change out, and I wouldn't be able to afford a new camera and new lens!
u could pick up a cheap 28-105 to hold u over...the d700 is the ONE:Love:

Who is going to get this without a battery grip? No person that I know of.
I will. I don't want or need the grip and quite honestly wouldn't use if it came with the camera.

Why are you so agitated by this release? It fills a niche which the 5D has occupied exclusively for years now. Seems like a good move on Nikon's part and I certainly welcome it.

N

Nuteshack

Originally Posted by Gary Mayo
Who is going to get this without a battery grip? No person that I know of.

I will. I don't want or need the grip and quite honestly wouldn't use if it came with the camera.

Why are you so agitated by this release? It fills a niche which the 5D has occupied exclusively for years now. Seems like a good move on Nikon's part and I certainly welcome it.
same here. don't want the extra bulk:cool:

u could pick up a cheap 28-105 to hold u over...the d700 is the ONE:Love:
I think you meant to use the :Devil: after that post, didn't you??? :biggrin: i guess I could sellmy 17-55 and pick up a used 28-70 for just a little more... they are going for similar prices these days since the 24-70 release! Here you go, you got me talking myself into it!!! :eek:

N

Nuteshack

I think you meant to use the :Devil: after that post, didn't you??? :biggrin: i guess I could sellmy 17-55 and pick up a used 28-70 for just a little more... they are going for similar prices these days since the 24-70 release! Here you go, you got me talking myself into it!!! :eek:
lol Shaun.....this is a camera u gotta have! the 28-70 isa dandy on this and gives u better skin tones ta boot:cool:

lol Shaun.....this is a camera u gotta have! the 28-70 isa dandy on this and gives u better skin tones ta boot:cool:
The 28-70 is the lens which stays on my camera bodies most of the time. Go ahead...buy one! :370:
Well, in that case, I'll bring it up with the wife... don't worry if you don't ever hear from me again, I'll have gone out with my Nikon in my hand!!! :eek: :biggrin: You two are EVIL!!! :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom