D700 banding?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Romeo, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    I am reading more and more threads everywhere about banding issues. Anyone here has issues? I think I will hold off till the next batch of shipment. But the question is how do I know its the next batch? hmmm.

2. please.....
    banding

you aren't serious... are you?

3. Oh no, got nervous, checked some of my shots at 800% and no banding in any that have potential to show it... The FM one showed horizontal banding the DPreview one showed vertical. If indeed there is any. I can post some tight crops if anyone wants to see 'em, but believe me there is nothing on mine...

4. I'll go take some street light pics in a minute to see if I have any as well.

5. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I'm the one who has posted in that thread (I'm AdamJRed there). So far I've been able to reproduce the 'blooming' in 3 out of 3 D700s tested.

Use a high ISO, 6400+, use a dark scene with dark areas and bright tiny highlights. Underexpose -1 to -2 to have an overall dark scene and you should be able to see the blooming bands. If you took the photo in landscape they will be horizontal, if portrait they are vertical.

I just took this one real quick with manual focus, -2 EV at ISO 6400. There is horizontal blooming where the lights are, can't miss them.

20080730-D700-ND7_0157.png

This is pretty big in my book, mainly because its so difficult to correct this problem and it 'can' ruin a photo. Someone in that thread mentioned it ruining concert photos... I have other DSLRs and simply put, they don't do that. Nikon is going to have to come up with a fix.

6. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Your looking at a ~80% crop of a shot that was manually (mis)-focused and handheld at 1/4s, of course its going to look bad.

The sole purpose of the photo was to show the blooming.

7. Yes, mine shows that effect too. Just taken in my living room with spotlight on in the ceiling. I'm not terribly concerned since I do little or no night photography, but I see where it could cause problems.

2718019855_f78a809557_b.png

8. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Sonya,

Where exactly are we supposed to see the banding in your photo?

9. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Just curious but what kind of affect would high ISO noise reduction or Active-D lighting have on this?

10. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I did tests with High-ISO NR on all 3 settings, along with Long Exposure NR and it made no noticeable effect. Since I normally shoot RAW I had the Active-D lighting turned off...

11. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Would any simple post processing resolve the issue of banding?

12. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Dave, thats not exactly what we are talking about. Were not talking about pushing the exposure - in those situations we all expect issues depending on how far we push.

Underexpose by 2, and don't push it at all. Also try to shoot with a wider FOV so your light source appears more as a point. A bright light and a dark, dark wall.

13. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Look horizontally to the right from the light source in the ceiling. You can see a lightly colored 'band' going across the rest of the ceiling.

14. My Test

I just took this one:

ISO 6400 -2EV

banding-vi.jpg

100% crop

banding100-vi.jpg

They look clean to me, but I am not a great peeper. Anyone see anything?

15. Rich, I see nothing on yours, but I also don't see a bright light source. I think it happens when you're shooting in near darkness and have a few bright lights. The bands extend from those *blown* spots on the photo. Like I said, it won't effect the way I shoot, but it may effect someone.

16. That's where I thought there might be one, but then I didn't see it in the crop? And Sonya, that is a light pointing up to the ceiling...Seems like a bright source to me?

Here's a new 100% crop of the area...

banding1002-vi.jpg

17. The samples I've seen are from spots that are blown or near blown. I wasn't expecting banding from such an indirect light I guess. I see the band Dave mentions, your crop is just a tad too low to catch it.

18. They certainly may be Dave, but I see nothing like that in my shots...

According to this thread, the stuff we are posting on, has been noted on the D3....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=28796225

I posted a new 100% crop and the line is not there??? Weird?

Like Sonya, I do not see this effect bothering my shooting, if there is a fix for it, I will take it, otherwise, I will keep on happily shooting...

19. Sure Dave, I see that, but when I pull a 100% crop of that region from the full data, I don't see it. See earlier post...