D700 banding?

Rich - I can see the line in your 100% crop as well.

I think the issue is real and affects all cameras the same, the real question is how prevalent will it be in our photos. I really doubt I will encounter this issue much, if at all. I guess only time will tell.

I've deleted my posts, the only post I would be concerned with are the images posted on FM since these are normal scenarios. As for the high ISO with -2EV, this apparently occurs with the D3.

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
Rich - I can see the line in your 100% crop as well.

I think the issue is real and affects all cameras the same, the real question is how prevalent will it be in our photos. I really doubt I will encounter this issue much, if at all. I guess only time will tell.

Wow, in the second 100% (with the Corel box)? I guess I am blessed with crappy eyes :wink: We'll see what happens. As Dave noted, it my cam was behaving like in the Ferris Wheel shot, I would not be happy... But I am very happy with the cam so far, so...

Wow, in the second 100% (with the Corel box)? I guess I am blessed with crappy eyes :wink: We'll see what happens. As Dave noted, it my cam was behaving like in the Ferris Wheel shot, I would not be happy... But I am very happy with the cam so far, so...

I can see it if I tilt my screen. I don't see it head one though.

I seem to recall hearing something similar to this when he D3 came out. Anyone else?
In any case, it never showed (or I never noticed it) in the 5000+ shots I put on my D3.
Admittedly, I didn't do much night shooting with extremely bright lights.

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)

I saw it as well, but not as noticeable as the other images posted in the thread. I think it would have been more noticeable if the light was brighter. At your exposure, it isn't close to being blown out, so that's probably why the blooming or banding isn't as obvious.

I seem to recall hearing something similar to this when he D3 came out. Anyone else?
In any case, it never showed (or I never noticed it) in the 5000+ shots I put on my D3.
Admittedly, I didn't do much night shooting with extremely bright lights.

The condition appears in some D3s - it was discussed in DPR by a couple of concert shooters. I can't replicate it in my D3 - even with a 6W LED flashlight in a dark room at +2EV. Guess I'm lucky :smile:

It's not as noticeable. Very faint at ISO 800, pretty much gone below that.

I am not sure if were implying anything by the test, as any camera can shoot a night scene at ISO 100/200. This camera is supposed to be capable through ISO 6400, and it is except in the face of bright highlights in a dark scene, which happens quite often actually.

Try a lower ISO and see if it happens.

I'd be willing to bet my D700 that I could reproduce it with your D3, its just a matter of shooting bright highlights with a dark background using around -2EV. (not +2 EV).

The condition appears in some D3s - it was discussed in DPR by a couple of concert shooters. I can't replicate it in my D3 - even with a 6W LED flashlight in a dark room at +2EV. Guess I'm lucky :smile:

My Rebel would do that, My 40D did it, My 5D did it, and My 1D Mark III did it.

My D700 does it if I shoot at -2 EV, But if I correct the exposure in NX2 or Shoot it correctly to begin with It is a non issue.

wilvoeka - Who is to say that shooting at -2 EV is not correct? When I'm shooting a dark street, I want the photo to show a dark street, not one lit up like daylight. There is nothing wrong with that.

And for what its worth, I CANNOT reproduce the problem with a 5D, 40D, or D300. So maybe we are talking about something different... ?

wilvoeka - Who is to say that shooting at -2 EV is not correct? When I'm shooting a dark street, I want the photo to show a dark street, not one lit up like daylight. There is nothing wrong with that.

And for what its worth, I CANNOT reproduce the problem with a 5D, 40D, or D300. So maybe we are talking about something different... ?

Im not saying that -2 isnt correct sometimes, but it looks like most of the shots I have been seeing with this discussion dont show the best exposure. Plus most people shooting Nightscapes will use a lower ISO and a tripod.

The shots look to bright to me for a -2 EV Night shot, and they all seem to lack the kind of contrast a night shot would show. The few test shots I took show the same thing, but if I set a white and black point and/or increase the contrast a bit the issue goes away.

I'd be willing to bet my D700 that I could reproduce it with your D3, its just a matter of shooting bright highlights with a dark background using around -2EV. (not +2 EV).

Tried it. 6400 ISO -2EV then corrected in NX2 +2EV and a levels adjustment from 255 to 160. One slight band is visible at that extreme. I'm not sure what that translates to in effective ISO, but I know I would never normally do anything close to that.

BTW ... also near Chicago.

Paul

Lots of D3 posts showing the same problem as you have shown ex. high ISO poorly exposed, bright highlights = banding.

Seem for the most part that nobody gives a **** as this is an unlikely real world example.

Im not saying that -2 isnt correct sometimes, but it looks like most of the shots I have been seeing with this discussion dont show the best exposure. Plus most people shooting Nightscapes will use a lower ISO and a tripod.

The shots look to bright to me for a -2 EV Night shot, and they all seem to lack the kind of contrast a night shot would show. The few test shots I took show the same thing, but if I set a white and black point and/or increase the contrast a bit the issue goes away.

The photos in the DPreview link on the first page of this thread have good exposure. As for not shooting at low ISO on a tripod, a lot of folk don't carry a tripod everywhere they go, so they need a higher ISO to handhold the shot.

Lots of D3 posts showing the same problem as you have shown ex. high ISO poorly exposed, bright highlights = banding.

Seem for the most part that nobody gives a **** as this is an unlikely real world example.

Did you look at the photos in the DPreview link? How is that not a real world example? How was it poorly exposed? How can you say this wouldn't be an issue for someone shooting concerts? Those are full of dark venues with bright stage lights. I can definitely see how it would be a real problem for those types of shooters.

Latest threads

Top Bottom