1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

d700 battery life?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Nuteshack, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

the d200 bites. i know it shares the same battery as the 300 and 700. i hear the 300 is much more effecient with the standard battery but i haven't heard anything concerning the 700.

i plan on getting the grip but only wana use it for sports and event shooting.

your replies appreciated
    :biggrin:

2. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    I can't really give you a number on how many shots I get per battery cycle but it's good.
    I shoot a LOT and it seems like I'm only charging mine up twice a month maybe. Sometimes I use my external flash sometimes not and I'm an ovsessive chimper (lol). I also have a battery grip. It really does have a long life :) 

ETA: I shot a small wedding last weekend using my SB600 w/ battery grip and used 4 4GB memory cards and still had plenty of battery life left.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I find that it's as efficient as the 300 is with battery usage. With a grip, you're good for a week! (at least).

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Lisa, Francis ...i'm well aware with the grip and 8 double A's it last forever it seems. so, for the standard battery with chimping and what not, how many clicks would u all gestimate? 200, 300, more perhaps?

5. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I get more than that on the "crummy" D200! Probably 400, and in raw+jpeg. I would expect a 3-years-newer camera to beat that handily.

My biter is the dying D70. Maybe 200 a pop. Like my D1x, but lighter and flakier. :biggrin:

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    At least 250 with just the standard battery. At least! And I am a chimpin' foo! LOL. You're makin' me nervous with these questions, Nute! I can feel it, the D700 is just around the corner for you :biggrin:.

7. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    well at my wedding I went through 4 4GB cards---- that's about 800 shots.
    I still had 1/2 my battery life left. I did use my battery grip and SB600 but I had it set to use the grip battery first. I don't use double AA's though. I have another camera battery in there so it's the same right?

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Nancy..dang, 400 ain't bad for the 200. i've never expired mine. just makes me nervous when i see the meter thingy goin down after 100 shots or so. btw, i love my "crummy" 200..i just WANT fx!!!
    :biggrin::smile::cool: 

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'm hearing up to 1500 shots with the grip and AA's loaded. Kap just got a hold of me and is guessing 700, maybe more with a standard single battery. that rocks imho.
    the grip will come in handy for the faster frame rate (8fps is plenty for me) when shooting indoor basket ball, etc. getting 1500 or so clicks ona single charge isa justa bounus. for almost all my needs a single battery is way more than adequate...i'm guna dig this!!!

no, it's not the same. u don't get the faster frame rate with the standard battery in the grip.

thanks much Lisa
    :Love:

10. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Me too, me too. Realizing that I have the $ and only one lens that won't do FX does not help...:rolleyes: 

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

o my...same here..will miss my beloved dirty 30 but hey, i think it's a worthy sacrifice!!! ok, let's do this together ..lol
    :biggrin::smile::cool: :eek: 

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol .. i chimp sooooooooo much u could call me GONZO ..hahahaha. i'm battery brutal!!!
    ...it's comin baby it's COMIN!!! not a matter of "if" just "when"
    :Love::Love::Love:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  13. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I usually get about 700-900 shots (~100-200 with flash in wireless commander mode) before the battery is at the single mark (20%).

I did notice that for the first 4 or 5 uses it would drop to 20% alot sooner, after each recharge I got maybe 100 more shots before I got to the same point of depletion. Now they routinely give me around 700-900 depending on how often I shoot.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

that's INSANE!!!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: 

15. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    You're welcome. You are guna dig this :) 

You don't get the faster frame rate w/ a standard battery? GET OUT.
    The AA's make that thing SO VERY HEAVY :eek:  LOL.

Nuteshack King Chimp, lol.
    I don't think I could ever shoot film again--- I would die if I couldn't chimp, lol.

16. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    I am coming from a D200 that might get 400 shots on a battery. The D700 is much better. Yesterday I took 239 shots and the battery meter says 83% charge remaining. I am not a big time chimper though so this may not be typical.

17. I use the grip and AA's on the D300 and D700. I notice slightly better life with the D300 then the 700. RAW files- 700 to 730 with the D700, 850 with the D300. Note: Exact same batteries, and bought at the same time. Fact is, I am not very careful and use the clips in whatever camera grip I slide them into.

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'm diggin it already, big time!

...sorry on the frame rate, but ya it's true. a voltage thingy or something like that:eek: 
    film? what's that? CHIMP CHIMP ..lol
    :cool: 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  19. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Well good to know. Next time I'm shooting action, I'll bring my AA's along :biggrin:

20. soulman

soulman Guest

I seem to have recharged mine a lot lately, being new to the camera I'm probably messing with settings and chimping more but I struggle to get more than 400 shots from a charge, a little disappointing compared to the Canon 40D I had before, it's my only (minor) complaint though....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.