D700 buy now or wait ?

I was waiting for the D700 replacement which as of now seems will surely be delayed at least a year or more. In the meantime I have a D3 at my disposal, I was wondering if I should get the D700 to replace the D3 or would it be a senseless downgrade ? My only complain with the D3 is the size nothing else. All advice highly appreciated and thanks.

If you were to get a D700 are you planning on selling the D3? If not...I think (just like you said) theres no sense downgrading. If there is a need for two bodies, go for it.

Short answer - yes. I seriously doubt this will create a whole year delay since surely Nikon will shift some production to other facilities, but it will definitely be a while. Also, one has to consider the fact that no announcement has been made yet - so it's not happening anytime in the very near term. If you like or need the D700, better grab one while the gettin's good! They'll be in short supply soon - if not totally absent!

Quick qualifier - if you're replacing the D3, not sure. If it's worn out, maybe. If you're really put off by the size, maybe even more. If you just want a D700 then jump quickly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Short answer - yes. I seriously doubt this will create a whole year delay since surely Nikon will shift some production to other facilities, but it will definitely be a while. Also, one has to consider the fact that no announcement has been made yet - so it's not happening anytime in the very near term. If you like or need the D700, better grab one while the gettin's good! They'll be in short supply soon - if not totally absent!

Quick qualifier - if you're replacing the D3, not sure. If it's worn out, maybe. If you're really put off by the size, maybe even more. If you just want a D700 then jump quickly...
Camera is in prime condition, onyl 3500clicks, replacing just because of size.

Nikon has shut down its production facilities in northern Japan, including the factory that makes flagship DSLR cameras such as the D700, following the earthquake and tsunami disaster. Nikon's Sendai plant is where cameras including the D3S, D3X, D700 and F6 are made
more here

I forget whose sig this was in, but it seems appropriate...

"Tomorrow's cameras will never be able to take today's photographs."

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom