1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 demand ballistic

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by pforsell, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    A message from Adorama

(From another forum:) 

NIKON D700 CUSTOMER ALERT

Apparently even Nikon didn’t know just how big a homerun they scored with the new D700. Initial demand for the D700 far outstrips Nikon’s ability to build it, one of the most sensational new cameras in a generation.

As one of Nikon’s biggest dealerships, Adorama’s allocation of D700’s is way up there. But ‘way up there’ doesn’t even come close to the number of orders we’ve received.

We know this is small comfort to all of you who are champing at the bit. Just imagine how we feel. You’re waiting for a single D700. We’re waiting for lots of them.

All we can ask of you is what Nikon is asking of us – for a bit of patience. As soon as they can deliver they will. As soon as we can ship to you we will.

Every single D700 will be shipped per the order in which it was received. NO ONE IS skipping to the head of the line.

All we can tell you at this time is that we value your business and regard your professionalism very highly. We know how important your equipment is to you, and we understand why a Nikon D700 is a ‘must-have’.

Rest assured that as we receive shipments from Nikon, we will be forwarding each of these precious cameras. You will receive yours as quickly as Nikon can build it.

We know it’s tempting to call Customer Service for updates on your order. But there is nothing they can tell you, as our entire inventory and order-fulfillment process is state-of-the art and completely automated. You will get your D700 right after the customer who ordered before you, and right before the customer who placed their order after you.

We thank you for your patience. More importantly, we thank you for your trust. Rest assured that your account will not be charged until your camera is ready for shipment to you.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Adorama
    --
    H McCollister

2. Howard 6238

Howard 6238

Oct 26, 2007
    Carlisle UK
    D700 Availability

I ordered a D700 on announcement day.
    I have just been told by the Nikon dealer, that Nikon are implementing the NPS membership preferential service (as per D3).

Queue jumping will therefore occur no doubt.

3. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Wow, not another D3 fiasco. Hopefully people don't have to wait 6 months for their camera.

4. Looks like this is quickly becoming standard procedure.

5. "Champing" at the bit? Wouldn't that be "chomping"?! :eek: 

6. JimCouch

JimCouch Guest

Well at this point it probably isn't "Chimping" at the bit!

Jim Couch

7. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

8. AntonioJV

AntonioJV

Aug 9, 2007
    SP-Brasil
    I´ll be very happy if my camera arrives here in Brazil.............by december 2008.......try to understand Nikon sometimes is hard! ot maybe this is something related to demand and production capacity!!
    In the meantime my D300 is doing a very good job..........
    Or should I use an old Latin say.......Abutant patientia mea.........

9. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    ugh. I hope Nikon doesn't screw their smaller local dealers by shipping to the biggest dealers first. I'm pretty certain my local guy got his order in at the very earliest time they began accepting them. That doesn't mean he'll get one any time soon. He ordered 4 and he now has all 4 of them sold...

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Good thing the D3 is in relatively stable supply now.

11. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    With overwhelming initial demand and limited production capacity (Sendai plant), you are right about that.

12. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    "Champing" at the bit is correct with regard to its literary sources and proper usage in most of the world. "Champing" is the repetitive eager biting motions of the jaw, typically strongly enough to produce noise. It indicates impatience at being held back from something (e.g., getting hold of a D700).

Most people have not read the classics and use "chomping" since (in America, perhaps) that's what they imagine a horse does to its bit (mouth-piece).

13. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I was just at my local dealer and asked about the NPS priority.

He told me that it only applies to dealers here in the states if they are doing a volume of 100+.

He also told me since I placed my order before this was put into effect it wouldnt effect me anyway. Hes said I am was the first to pre order from them and I would receive the first camera they received.

I guess I can report back for sur eon this in about 2 weeks.

14. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    This is where I am, too. I've developed a good enough relationship with the dealer over the past 20 years that he has confided in me some of Nikon's business practices, that especially over the past 5 years, definitely show an inclination towards blowing off the little guys. He just dropped Pentax because their minimum anual order just went to $100,000. Pentax? He told me Nikon requires dealers to buy into one of 4 tiers. Only the top tier can even order the D3 and the fast teles (500/600f4). That requires well in excess of $100,000 anually - although he hovers right around that mark, he's reluctant to spend the extra capital on a flawed marketing system (which I don't blame him for one bit). It DOES seem to adversely affect his ability to get timely shipments, though...

15. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Wow, this is pretty serious stuff. They've even got postmen to synchronise their watches.

16. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I;m not sure why you guys are upset about Nikon giving NPS members priority. These people are using it to make a living while most everyone here is using excess $$ for this and it is only a want not a need.

17. this is a surprise????

18. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC

Who's upset? NPS priority isn't an issue for me. The potential (liklihood?) that B&H, Adorama, etc will get order priority simply because they're high volume sellers is what bothers me...
    I go to a lot of effort to support my local Nikon dealer.

19. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Not Totally True Andrew

I supplant a fair bit of my income shooting and sell a fair bit of Nikon gear by talking about it along the way.

I can't get NPS status because I don't do this full time and nothing else.

Believe me...I've tried.

So just because someone isnj't NPS doesn't mean we're all just gear heads and p*ssing money away.

20. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    This "Overwhelming" demand only seems to be for the big online retailers.

I have 3 different shops here in town. I ordered mine from the largest of the 3. They told me they received their conformation of their order from Nikon yesterday for 30 D700s.

They have 3 pre-orders.

I called the other two shops to see what they had to say, one also had 3 pre-orders, the other had no pre-orders but had placed an order for 2.

Every area will have different demands, but in my area the demand is very low. The shop I ordered mine from says they have had at least one D3 in stock since release day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.