D700 does night shooting at Christian Science Center

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by tfenne, Aug 21, 2008.

1. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    My D700 arrived today :biggrin: So I bunked off work an hour early to go home and play with it. After taking the requisite test shots at home I was itching to go out and my girlfriend suggested we take a trip downtown to the Christian Science Center which is said to be very scenic at night.

We got down there just before dusk and shot for about an hour. She with the D40+tripod, me with D700 + 50/1.2 handheld all the way (yes - I need to get something wider for this kind of thing). I'm blown away at how great the shots came out. Most of these are at ISO 3200 at f/2:

2785271229_51a5703c71_b.

2785260775_54ff5eff17_b.

2786108378_048908d4e8_b.

I'm over the moon about my new D700 :Love:

2. That first pic rocks, one of the best reflections I've ever seen.

3. Awesome--such even exposures and open shadows. Amazing feeling of depth!

4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Very nice quality and feel to them.

5. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Wow, thanks! I see you're location says New England. Are you in the Boston area? You should definitely come down and visit the Christian Science Center!

Thank you! I'm loving what this combo produces.

Thanks. I really like what I can do with this camera :smile:

6. nice shots
    i like the first one best
    i like the reflection being bigger than the actual building... the opposite of what is usual

very well done

7. amazing. great reflections

8. Top notch. What were your shutter speeds ? (no EXIFs in your posted images)

9. Beautiful!! I love how the last one looks like a giant mushroom! :smile:

10. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks! I really enjoy shooting with my primes as it forces me into considering compositions and choices that I might not otherwise have thought of!

Thank you.

Apologies, I forgot that flickr doesn't keep the EXIF when it makes the other sizes of the images.
    #1 ISO3200, f/4, 1/40
    #2 ISO3200, f/2.8, 1/50
    #3 ISO3200, f/2, 1/100

Guess I was wrong about "most at f/2", but all at reasonably wide apertures.

Thanks! :biggrin: When we got there it was still light and I thought the building was kind of ugly! But as it got dark and the lights came on and the reflection got stronger and it started to look a whole lot nicer.

11. edsd3?

edsd3?

Sep 13, 2007
    Cumbria, UK.
    Nice!

No banding here.

Ed

12. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Excellent images, Tim!

13. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Wonderful captures! Bet you didn't want to go to work next day either :) 

14. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Nope!

Thanks Francis!

Oh how right you are. It's a beautiful day today here in MA and I'm looking for any excuse I can to get out of work and go shooting :eek: 

15. david7703

david7703

Mar 27, 2008
    melrose ma
    Nice shots Tim!

A couple years ago I went and took some night photo's of the Christian Science Center..it was a lot of fun until security came and told they didn't want me taking pictures of the chuch! Looks like you didn't have any problems getting some good shots..hopefully they're not as up tight about it now..I'd luv to get some shots like yours..

Regards,

David

16. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I like these a lot and it really shows off the dynamic range of the D700 and how great it is at higher ISO's. Great shots.

17. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks! I didn't see any security guards at all the whole time. One approached my girlfriend and, how did she put it, insisted that he needed to know how the pictures would be used. But when she told him it was just personal photography everything was fine.

Thanks! Yes, it really is a dream camera for shooting at high ISO in low light.

18. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Thumbs up!!! Great series...........these are all awesome in my view. Rock-on D700!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.