1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 Faces a Real Challenge!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by gnagel, Aug 5, 2008.

1. I visited the Chicago Bears training camp in Bourbonnais, Illinois last night (August 4th). The lighting was inadequate both in color and density.

I had to boost the ISO to 6400 in order to achieve a shutter speed of 1/400th wide open.

I realize that these two shots aren't all that great. But, considering the following limitations...I didn't think they were all that bad.

1- ISO at 6400
    2- Shot wide open with a teleconverter
    3- Auto white balance
    4- 1/640th and 1/400th shutter speeds, respectively
    5- Cropped versions

#1: Garrett Wolfe (#25)
    p510325907-5.
    NIKON D700    ---    420mm    f/4.0    1/640s    ISO 6400

#2: Kyle Orton and the Bears
    p13136430-5.
    NIKON D700    ---    420mm    f/4.0    1/400s    ISO 6400

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

2. What lens were you shooting with? Which tele? Wouldn't you think a D300 would be more suitable for sports considering it's a crop? Pretty much you get that 1.5x tele converter without doubling your f stop.

BTW how'd you get a gig shooting for them, I run into a few bears at Tsu Kasa (they seriously eat there all the time)

Lucky you :) 

3. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Hmm looks a little noisy at the edges, do you have any 100% crops of the subject areas?

To Eugene, no, the D700/D3 would offer better performance (imo) as it would be acting like a D2H/1D with the high speed/high ISO. The D700's sensor would offer better IQ at the same shutter speed (to stop motion).

4. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Finally some sport shoots with the D700. How did the AF perform with the lens? Was it able to acquire and track the way you wanted? What AF-C settings did you got with? Did you try 51-point 3D dynamic at all?

Considering the lighting, ISO 6400 performed as well as to be expected it seems. In a real stadium, with the best lights, it would be nice to see what results you get.

5. I was using the 300 2.8 lens with a Nikon 1.4x teleconverter.

I don't like using the D300 for such high ISO settings. The image quality at ISO 6800 would not be very pretty!

The Bears let me bring my camera to the workout, but I didn't have a pass or anything. These photos were taken from over 100 yards away.

Glenn

6. These aren't 100% crops, but they are cropped significantly.

7. The D700 has been great in normal conditions for sports. But, the AF did not perform quite a quickly with the teleconverter in such dark conditions.

Normally, I go with AF-C and use the AF-ON button to acquire focus. I used the 21 point the entire time.

Glenn

8. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    This is certainly a dark enough scene to affect AF with any camera. The noise level looks great knowing the images are cropped!

9. Yes...it was very dark (1/400th at ISO 6400, f/4).

10. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Glen, not to thread-jack, but what sort of settings do you have enabled? I've shot some 3200 and 6400, but I'm seeing more noise with the standard settings.

11. I used the Standard Picture Control setting with sharpness reduced to zero (and adjusted later). I shoot in RAW and often make adjustments during post processing.

I also selectively applied noise reduction using Nikon Capture NX2.

I suspect that the exposure influences the amount of noise also. Perhaps if I had exposed a little more to the right on the histogram the noise would have been reduced.

When I end up adding brightness to an image in post processing, the noise that lives in the shadows rears its ugly head!

Glenn

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very nice Glenn ...my experience shooting extreme iso is always ETTR ....better to error to the bright side of things. and shooting raw much easier to pull it back a little bit in post ...again, very impressive, nice shots and thanks for sharing.

can't wait to get me one of these fine gizmos
    ;-)))

13. Thanks Nute...

One of the reasons I even bothered taking some photos under last night's conditions was simply to learn how to get better images with high ISOs. I think your advice is good--err to the bright side of things. I'm definitely going to try that next time.

Glenn

14. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I think he was saying that with the d300's built in teleconverter (dx crop) you wouldn't have had to use the t/c, thus being able to use a lower ISO on the d300 because you could have one more stop wide open. :smile:

Terrific shots, i see no noise what so ever. Awesome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.