1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700/FF - It's about the glass

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sreeves31, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    So I've read a dozen or so threads about the D700 today. As a D200 owner who is ready for another body (and has borrowed and shot with a Canon 5D and seen the image quality) I almost can't order quickly enough. But then the thought arrives - what glass will I hang on the front of my new D700? My three most used lenses are the 17-55, Sigma 10-20, and 70-200VR. (DX,DX and FX of questionable usefulness.) To add to the problem Nikon has no simple one lens full-frame solution (like a 24-105/F4 VR.)

So for me buying a D700 might actually mean buying a D700 PLUS a 24-70 PLUS a 14-24 or 17-35. On the other hand buying a D300 right now would allow no lens changes but leave me a little nervous about the future.

Anybody else in my boat? Is there a logical lens path to full frame?

2. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Here's a question for you ... if you're secretly a full-frame fan but were forced to go crop-sensor with the idea in your mind that you were someday going to upgrade to a full-frame camera - why did you ever buy DX glass?

I've owned nothing but crop-factor cameras since moving from my Canon Elan 7N and I've never bought a single DX/EF-S/DC lens for the simple reason that I KNOW for a fact I WILL go full frame.

3. Why do you need the D700? Is the D300 not good enough???

The D700 is $1200 more than the D300...
    A 24-70 is $500 more than a 17-55...
    14-24 is $1200 more than a Sigma 10-20; 17-35 "only" $1000 more...

Is FX really that much better than DX - I don't think so.

Cheers

Mike

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

1st of all the 70-200 rocks on the D3 so you should be OK.
    IMO DX is hear for a long time so buy based on what you need. Do you need the dx crop factor more than the iso3200 capabilities ?
    Having said that I am selling my sigma 10-20 but only because I never use it.
    Good luck and welcome to the club.

5. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Good question Billy. I had some Nikon lenses from 35mm film days so when I switched to digital there was no Nikon full-frame option. I am not sure when Canon went full frame but I guess I never thought the day would come so quickly:confused:  I am sure that it breaks Nikon's heart that there are impatient consumers like me out there.:wink:

I sure have enjoyed those DX lenses though...

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

no, the d300 is not good enough if you need high iso....
    but if you need the reach then you need the d300
    and yes, fx is that much better than dx, trust me

7. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Mike-

I absolutely do not NEED the D700 (or the D300 for that matter.) I do hope however, that for those who don't go full-frame that Nikon continues to support them fully. Will you ever buy another DX lens? I am not sure I will.

8. Under what circumstances? Just low light? If a D300 and a D3 were to take identical images at ISO 400, is the D3 image really going to be noticeably "better" than the D300 at say, 12 x 18 print size.

9. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Randy-

Thanks for the reply. Really glad to hear about the 70-200. Hope you are right about DX.

Cheers.

10. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Canon announced the 1Ds full frame camera at Photokina on September 23rd, 2002 - so full frame digital has been available to the masses for about 6 years now: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02092404canoneos1ds.asp

I didn't even GET my first digital (Canon Digital Rebel [aka 300D]) until 2004 :smile:

As far as the DX lenses go - regular lenses always worked.

11. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    You obviously didn't come from the days of film. When you spend 14 years shooting through a full-frame viewfinder - yes, full frame is worth the cost. The extra noise control is just icing on the cake.

12. RogDen31

RogDen31

Oct 7, 2007
    Yeovil, UK
    I have just sold my D80 with a view to getting either a D300 with grip or a friend bringing back a D3 from the US next week [if the price is right].
    A D700 would be ideal for me but at £2k plus £160ish for a grip. Now thats only £400 of the cheapest D3 price overhere .

But can i go without a camera till the D700 price drops?

At the moment i only have a 50f1.4 and afs300f4 both FF lens

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    no, in fact I doubt you could tell them apart
    Low light, big crops, and wide angles are big fx pluses.

btw, the lens still matters more...with a pro lens you can get a better pic with a d50 than a d3....(I shoot a D50, D300 and a D3)

14. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    DX will be around for at least another decade, probably 2. To think that it is going away is shortsighted.

The sensor is a very expensive part of today's DSLRs. As long as there is a consumer market for low-end DSLRs (and that's a rhetorical question, of course there will be), DX will be able to deliver a camera cheaper than FX. That gets SLRs into the hands of more people and ultimately gets more people hooked onto the hobby which generates more revenue for the manufacturers. Nikon cares a LOT more about the D60 buyer than he does about the D3 buyer. For every D3 guy there are hundreds of D60 guys who are going to be spending a LOT of money over the next 5 years experimenting and upgrading.

Then of course there's the already-sold DX lenses. Nikon hasn't abandoned their lens mount since Roman gods were inhabiting the Earth - I highly doubt they're going to screw-over their largest user-base (remember, DX lenses came with every new body since DX first hit the market).

DX and FX will continue along side by side for quite a long time. Trust in that.

15. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Roger -

Your post perfectly illustrates a point I was trying to make in the original post. There are lots of folks in your situation. If the decision is just D300 vs. D700 it seems difficult to argue D300. But if you have to pony up for 2 or more FF lenses(which in Nikon's current lineup are either dated, non-AF-S primes or ultra high-end zooms) the decision is a little more problematic.

Have fun with whatever new camera you get.:smile:

16. Thanks.

17. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Great post Billy... If you are right about DX (and I think you are, except maybe, about the 2 decade part) I can just order a D300 and go take a nap. :wink:

Until of course those full-frame portraits start to get posted...

18. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

I don't NEED any of my equipment since I make Zero $'s from them. It's just for fun for me.

19. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    This is a photography forum. I believe that economic common sense is not allowed.:wink:

20. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I bought the 28-70 and 80-200 AF-S knowing damn well FX was in my future. Now the day has finally come where there's an "affordable" FX camera that I'll be using in the next year. The only thing that I'm concerned about is reach. My 80-200 is my headshot king at 170-200mm. With the D700 I'll be losing a good bit of reach. I don't use WA much at all for portraits. There wiil be an adjustment period. I may spring for a 300F4 later next year if I need it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.