D700 focus lock question

In working with my D700 I noticed that when using continuous servo focus, the focus indicator in the viewfinder oscillates between the focus lock dot and either the right or left arrow. This happens on my 14-24, 24-70 and 70 200. On the 24-70, when I zoom in on a subject , at about 50 mm, the oscillations go away and I get a solid dot. On the 14-24 and 24-70 this does not happen and the oscillations are continous through out the range. I do not get the oscillations like this on my Micro Nikkor 60mm. In single servo focus mode, there is no oscilllating and the dot is as solid as on the 60 mm micro. On my D300 there are no arrows, just a dot that lights or doesn't. I don't see any flickering or problems ther either.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenum?

Bob

In working with my D700 I noticed that when using continuous servo focus, the focus indicator in the viewfinder oscillates between the focus lock dot and either the right or left arrow. This happens on my 14-24, 24-70 and 70 200. On the 24-70, when I zoom in on a subject , at about 50 mm, the oscillations go away and I get a solid dot. On the 14-24 and 24-70 this does not happen and the oscillations are continous through out the range. I do not get the oscillations like this on my Micro Nikkor 60mm. In single servo focus mode, there is no oscilllating and the dot is as solid as on the 60 mm micro. On my D300 there are no arrows, just a dot that lights or doesn't. I don't see any flickering or problems ther either.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenum?

Bob

If I am not mistaken, the arrows are characteristic of a range finder and will assist you in focusing, especially manually. Perhaps your lenses were hunting a bit. Were you testing this out in very low light?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom