d700 focus tracking

Hey All

I am using the AF-ON but for focus on my d700. After a couple basketball games I noticed that my layup were coming out a bit blurry. The focus point is the shooters body, yet the girls to the right in white in the frame are more infocus. (Preceeding this pic was the step before the jump and it to was not sharp - I figured one would have been sharp) I went and looked at a soccer pic I shot and noticed that while the main subject is moderately in focus - the right side player is more in focus.
Ch mode, Tracking normal, single point focus, dynamic 9pt

Thoughts or suggestions?

DSC18901-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC27221-XL.jpg

Your soccer pic looks ok, but the lay-up is slightly OOF. Have you tried turning off dynamic af?? In principle it sounds good, but I've given up on using it on my D3 and D300. At least I know the shot will be IF if I get the point on the subject. Hence burst mode.

Yeah except for the most predictable subjects moving at moderate speeds I don't trust any "dynamic" AF system. I use single point AF and keep the AF point on the subject - reliable and consistent quick AF with a high keeper rate.

To follow up, I've had some success with focus tracking when there is a single moving target like a single bird in flight or aircraft. But with a field full of targets, the camera often picks the wrong one to lock onto.

My d300s did not do this. The lay up was a couple shots in sequence and none of them are sharp on the focus point but are sharper to the right side of the viewing field...

Here are 2 from a couple weeks ago. Originals cropped at 5x7 in PSE7 and USM at 45% in NX2. Focus point on players body. Ref in better focus.

DSC19781-XL.jpg

DSC19791-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using a shorter Focus Lock On setting. I keep mine off entirely or I get soft shots with targets coming directly at the lens.

For sports I spot focus. Everytime. I've tried that AF 9, 21 and 51 pt. and the Dynamic focus. I don't like any of them. I miss more shots than I get.

Spot focus gives me the perfect shot almost every time. But that's just me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom