1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 Focusing power

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by basharar, Jul 1, 2008.

1. When comparing the D300 to the D3, you will first notice that the 51 3d tracking is much faster on the D3 than the D300, same for the auto focus mode, they just simply work, maybe the D3 has a faster processor, I am very curious how the D700 will perform when it comes to focusing speed D3 or D300....

2. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    This interests me as well.

3. I am considering the D3 as I can get it at a very good price, some issues when comparing it to the D700?
    -Speed of tracking, D3 processing power vs. D700
    -Speed of the focus motor, I think the D3 motor is faster than the D300"OR are they the same?!!"
    -The D3 does not have the focus light beam like the D300/700, so how exactly does it achieve focus in low light situation compared to D300/700

4. As expected according to ken rockwell, he is saying the D700 is more a consumer camera, less processing power, slower power, so when the hype ends and dust settles, I would love to see a real side by side comparison, other than having the same sensor....

5. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/663423

A poster in that thread (Ben Horne) says he used the D700 and describes its AF as being D300-like.

Others offer conjecture that similar chipset and circuitry between the D3 and D700 could mean that their AF ability is similar. They note that the D300 differs on these internals. Guess we'll know better by August.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  6. The D700 is said to have the same auto focus as the D3. Here is a copy from D700 specs.

Auto Focus • 51 focus points (15 cross-type sensors)
    • Multi-CAM 3500FX
    • AF working range: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, normal temperature)
    • AF fine tuning possible
    • Contrast Detect in Live View (Tripod) mode

The D300 has Multi-CAM 3500DX.
    Both the D3 and D700 have Multi-CAM 3500FX and therefore should focus the same (I assume).

7. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    The sped will depend on the processing power. The D300 and D3 have the same specs but the D3 has more computing power. Where the D700 falls in between these two remains to be seen.

8. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I imagine the biggest difference will be in it's ability to focus non-motorized lenses. Surely the D3 is equipped with the highest torque motor to drive the mechanism. I can only imagine the performance in AF-S and HSM lenses will be very similar since they are using the same module for achieving focus confirmation and software calculating algorithms, etc. Maybe a faster processor will make a minor difference, but it they make it too slow, Nikon will suffer a black eye. Remember, this isn't the "flagship", but it's still their second most expensive camera - by a significant margin...

9. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

the D700 is 2 thousand less than the D3.So,yes.the d3is gonna do alot of things better than the D700.

10. The price difference is the built in grip, slightly higher throughput and overall build. It's not necessarily anything that will impact IQ. I once owned a 5D that produced images on par with Canon's flagship at the time even though it had a higher MP count and cost 2x more.

Here the sensors are identical so the D700 should be right there with the D3 in peformance with high speed capture going to the D3 by a small margin.

11. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    The price difference right now is only about 25-30 % in UK - D700 without the grip is about 2.000 pounds - the D3 you can get about 2.550 pounds the cheapest place.

Then you can add the grip-price, but for some the lower weight is something to want.

12. I just read Rob Galbraith's introductory article on the D700 and in it he says: "The processing circuitry is identical to the D3 and features 14 bit analog-to-digital conversions and a 16 bit processing path. <snip> Like the D3, the frame rate of the D700 doesn't slow when the 14 bit option is selected."

If this is true, there is also a good chance that the focusing circuitry will also be more like the D3 than the D300.

We can only hope.

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I'll Be Tickled Pink

If it focuses better than the D300 and approached the AF speed of the D3 I may well buy one....unless of course the used D3 prices take a nosedibve when the D700 comes out.

My guess is there will be a drop...it just depends on how far.

14. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

You couldn't decide whether to write nosedive or nosebleed could you?.....:biggrin:

Either way, I have to admit it would now take a lot to dissuade me from looking at the D700 for my needs.

But if I could put a nano-bot inside the D3 to polish the sensor before every shot, then there'd be some serious doubt (edit: no not really, too many advantages to the new boy on the block).

15. Hi Peter, I a on the fence of choosing between the D700 and D3, the only thing that is scaring me is the Dust on the D3...

16. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

I was about to say that if this is your only worry that should not be the decider..but if it is a big concern then maybe it should.

For me it is a significant upgrade, assuming that it works, given the number of posts (and tales from my own acquaintances) about the dust-magnet sensor that the D700 will have.

However there is no doubt that the pro-D3 body will be better equipped to stand the test of time if you need the motor-drive. For example, my remaining D2x will be an ISO100 studio cam most of the time, but also a high-speed motor-drive DX body with extra 'reach' for those occasions when I need it.

If you don't need that speed, and assuming that the D700 has - say - at least 90% of the focusing ability of the D3, then it is a very compelling proposition.

Good luck with your choice, but do whatever you can to make sure it isn't down to luck. Apply some serious reasoning to what you need, and the decision should (almost) make itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  17. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
  18. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    For the money it better be like the D3, Bjorn has been busy testing the D700 by putting it in his freezer. In the next few days he should get to how responsive the AF is, by then we will know for sure.

19. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark

Yes, I am also very interested in Bjørns findings.

20. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Worse case scenario, Nikon can always do a firmware upgrade later. :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.