D700 for $2700.00

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by PhotoDude79, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

sales of the D700 must be down..After the initial grab by enthusiasts...they're sitting on the shelf...

That's more that a 10% drop in retail pricing...

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I hope they continue to drop so that more photographer out there can afford it. It's a great camera and everyone should have a chance to own one. :biggrin:

3. Hey Reggie is that you in your avatar? If it is, you're ripped bro! My only weightlifting is shooting my 200-400 and 500 hand held all day!

4. I kinda want a D700, but I'm happy with my DX/FX D3+D2x x2 trifecta! Wow, looks like a math equation!

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    That's too much algebra for me, man! Have you tried shooting with a D700 at your local shop yet? It might change your mind. SO let me get this right - you have two D3s and two D2x's?? Yowza, Jon!

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Wow these prices have got me really thinking ! A D700 would go just fine with my D2H … :cool:

7. My buddy shoots with a D700. We tag team on low light assignments, and it's a beautiful thing to see the D3 and D700 in action. I kinda want one a D700, but I need a SB-900 and a couple prime lenses first.

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Pffft! Which primes? :wink:

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I bet you can make the D700 shine, Julien. Your photos are always nice.

10. Let me just say, killer rig you've got there. But why would you need a D700 if you've got a D3? Do you need a body with less weight or does the D700 do something that the D3 doesn't? If weight is a concern I'll trade you straight up for my D200 which is quite light compared to the D3. Hell my D70s is even lighter. I suppose I could trade you that one as well, if you ask nice. ;)

11. Yep dats lil ole me..... I'm gonna wait a couple more months before I bite the bullet on a D700. If i can get one for 2400 - 2500 hundred then I'll be solid.

12. Confused!

Confused!

Aug 30, 2007
    KALEEFONIA
  13. I was hoping they were going to announce the 85 1.4 AFS VR or whatever it may be. But I'll settle for the 50 1.4 AFS and an SB-900. Actually I have a buyer for one of my D2X bodies, so I might be jumping on the D700 train pretty soon! I'm not sure where I'll assign the camera though. I like having three bodies: 1st body on the short lens flash, 2nd body on the 70-200 VR and 3rd body on either the 200 VR, 200-400 VR or the 500. Decisions!

14. At that price, I will be buying next paycheck!

15. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    There are a couple of D700s for sale, at reasonable prices here, and these sorts of posts do nothing but gum up the works for nice people. I frankly hate threads discussing price, it makes the folks that paid retail feel like sh.. remember us, the early adopters that convince you all you want this camera? and it hurts people trying to sell, so let's hope it benefits someone. These sorts of threads help destroy the used market, in the end, we all loose. It was better when a camera held it's own for a little while, better for everyone, we could all enjoy it and still get something out of it on sale.

cameta is not perfect. I bought a lens as demo, was a refurb from them I really believe, and another lens came without any caps! They made good on that, but it was a hassle to wait it out for them.

16. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    I don't believe these type of threads drive used prices down as much as progression and competition in the marketplace, you can get a nice D2X for around $1k these days and it'll be the same for a D3 in a couple of years. Lenses might hold their value to a degree but I doubt bodies ever will in the digital age. JMHO

17. My question is, why would a used D700 be for sale already?

18. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    How dare people share good deals with others and gum up the works for people trying to sell gear for more than it's worth?!

Reasonable is what the market defines. If you can prey on an ignorant buyer and get more money out of them, great for you I guess, but you're hardly a "nice person".
    Oh boo hoo. You knew going in that you were spending a lot of money on something destined to depreciate rapidly. You made your choice, why would you feel "like sh.." when the inevitable happens.
    It benefits everyone (except those dishonestly trying to sell stuff for more than it's worth) by communicating what the going price is. If you're truly interested in "reasonable prices" knowledge is everyone's friend. It seems like instead you're more interested at keeping the price of entry to "nice gear" artificially high to your own benefit, at the expense of people who have decided that current pricing is not appropriate to their situation.
    No, they don't and no, we don't. Sure, in your dream world everyone might have their heads buried in the sand, and would pull it out only to pay you artificially inflated prices for your used gear so that you could go buy the newest stuff at your leisure. That might benefit you, but it doesn't benefit us all.
    Here's a hint: digital cameras (digital anything) are going to depreciate rapidly whether you try to keep it secret or not. Know it going in. Accept it. Embrace it. Live with it or live without the latest. Just don't whine when others predictably pay less a few months after you. It's your choice. If you want value out of a digital camera, use the heck out of it. The price is going to plummet whether you do or not, but each shot is pretty just about free. As far as "getting something out of the sale", last I checked D700s were still thousands of dollars. If that's not something, what is?

Ignoring reality isn't going to change it.
    How dare you undermine the used market by buying a demo instead of someone's used lens? :rolleyes: