D700 for Macro

So, I did something yesterday that has me now considering a D700 for my macro use (I'd use it with the Sigma 50 too for walkaround). My D90's sensor is horribly dirty and the sensor cleaning stuff won't be here until today. So last night I mounted up the D5000 to my macro setup and went out shooting. I noticed immediately that the viewfinder being so much smaller/less clear made it horrible to focus my shots in the 2:1 range that I often shoot. I was able to get some shots, but it was a lot tougher than the D90.

So....that made me think about how everybody talks about the difference in the viewfinder of the D700 vs. the DX crop cameras. If it is as big a difference as the D5k to D90 then that could make my macro shooting worlds easier. I handhold my 180mm macro with a set of tubes which means I focusing is critical.

Another point is that I"ve been bumping the iso a bit to get prettier backgrounds. D700 would help prevent background noise when doing this.

My only hesitation is the losing the crop factor which essentially means I lose magnification (figuratively). However, do you think the higher quality of images from the D700 would lean toward a better ability to crop without losing quality?

Thoughts??

You'll also lose some depth of field due to the bigger sensor. Depending on what kind of macro work you're doing that could be a good thing, or a bad one.

The D700 is great for high ISO shooting and is a wonderful camera, but unfortunately I don't have experience with a D90 to tell you just how much better the viewfinder is...

You'll also lose some depth of field due to the bigger sensor. Depending on what kind of macro work you're doing that could be a good thing, or a bad one.

The D700 is great for high ISO shooting and is a wonderful camera, but unfortunately I don't have experience with a D90 to tell you just how much better the viewfinder is...

I forgot about the lesser dof... That would be a big negative since I already struggle with not having enough with the 180mm at 2:1....

If a larger view finder is what your after why not consider a D7K? I think that has a larger viewfinder area than the D90. Might that suit your needs?

I'm not familiar with the magnifying eyepieces...I'll have to look into that.

I'm at about 1.8:1 with a a full set of tubes on my 180mm macro. I can get up to around 2.8:1 with the combination of tubes and the 1.4TC on the 180mm.

How about using live view.

Not an option really. My face is part of the support for focusing. I can't hold focus nearly as well at these magnifications while holding the camera in front of me. I have to have to have a pretty specific holding technique to get focus handheld at this magnification and focal length. If I was a tripod shooter, Live View would be the way to go probably.

You really really should consider the D7000, Nate. At the native ISO you'd be hard pressed, even at 200%, to tell the difference between the D7000 and the D700. Also, the 16MP is super duper nice for cropping. The viewfinder is bigger, and brighter than the D90 (IMO). I just put the DK-21m on my D7000 and its even better, although I wish they'd make it so you can remove the hard rubber.

You should handle one before you jump on the D700.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I've tossed the idea around for awhile and think maybe the D7000 is the way to go. I keep getting urges for the D700 but I think there are too many negatives for my macro shooting to justify the purchase. D7000 might be the ticket. Do you have any macro stuff shot at ISO 800 w/ flash on the D7k? That's where I seem to be getting too much noise in the background with my D90.

Since I started with the D7k, I started shifting the ISO around move... even to 1600 sometimes, without fear. Although, none with flash. If I'm using flash, I am stuck on ISO 100. I can do a few shots for you today when I go out at using auto-iso and flash, and particular ISO shots with flash... I'll be using two SB-R200s and the Sigma 150 2.8, just so you know.

What I'm most interested in is getting rid of the stupid black background from shooting with flash, base ISO and no foilage behind the subject. When I bump to ISO 800 and all other settings the same, my images look similar except a more pleasing background.....but right now I"m spending an extra 5 minutes per photo to selectively apply noise reduction to the background which is a pain. That would be awesome if you could snap a couple samples for me...much appreciated.

Put a Katz Eye Screen in the D700, and you are set for life. I use it with 60 2.8N and 105 2.8 VR.

D7000 is nice, but not as good. Older D200 camera I have is equipped with Katz Eye screen. Would be beneficial in 7000 also.

I have both a D700 and D90 and after taking a few test shots using a 60G I really like the DX Macro because of the dof and extra reach of the crop sensor. Since you shoot Macro I'd get the D7K or hold off and get whatever Nikon comes out with as D300 replacement.

Also +1 on the Katz Eye Screen I have on my D90 and love it.

ok I was curious today and took some test shots on the D90 with the 60mm 2.8G with a 36mm tube then took the same on the D700. Manual everything, same settings on both cameras both at MFD. Exif is intact..

The shot on the D90...
Pic_1621.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The cropped recreation of the above on the D700..
Pic_1620.jpg

Here is one more of the original D700 shot. Really shows how much wider the full frame is..
Pic_1622.jpg

I'm liking the DX for macro the dof and extra reach just makes its ll soo much easier. Shots are of the pins on an old Pentium II processor.

D700 is great for Macro

Hi, first post here and i'm sorry for the bad english :)
I'm working with the D700 and taking macro pictures with ISO 800-3200 and the noise level are very low. i loved the extra reach with DX camera but the Bokeh on the FF is better.
All pics are with the Nikon 200mm f4 and Kenko Extension Tubes

Lior

ISO 3200
5548773694_371fa9f88a_z.jpg

SuperFly - Banzai! #1 by Lior Darzi, on Flickr

ISO 800
5481064311_7ca937a252_z.jpg

Robber Fly Portrait by Lior Darzi, on Flickr

ISO 1600
5552186297_061d089f4b_z.jpg

SuperFly - Banzai! #2 by Lior Darzi, on Flickr

ISO 3200
4553327845_41f5a65ff1_z.jpg

Robber Fly by Lior Darzi, on Flickr

Nice shots Lior - I use the D3 with the 200 macro AFD combination and find it fantastic for macro and landscape too.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
First - I'm no pixel peeper or expert....but in John's shot it seems that the D700 is sharper, but definitely has a shallower DOF. I guess that is what everyone is saying! LOL!

Latest threads

Top Bottom