1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 for sports?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I know a few who use the D3 for sports. I'm thinking in terms of the D700/D3 being FF.
    Certainly the better ISO capability is interesting to me, after two weeks of HS night time football.

But the D300 has the crop factor, and is still better at higher ISOs than I was shooting last year.

2. Jeff I have been thinking the same thing, I keep pushing myself towards the D3 though for some reason. Probably since I love the D2X feel. I do love the D300 grip feel its much better than the D200. Although with a jump to full frame that 300mm will seem short. That is the thing holding me back.

3. This also my dilemma.
    HS football allows flash but pro baseball and NCAA do not. Hence the D700 appeal. Hmm. Fred

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Exactly!

And I don't have the budget for a 400 2.8 right now.

5. Get back to me Saturday afternoon. I have a D3 that I used for spring sports last season with my D2X as my second body. Sold the D2X this past weekend (along with my 17-55) and literally received my D700 at 5 pm this afternoon. Had onoly about an hour to fool with it.

No problem with the images since the sensor is essentially the same as the D3. Only question mark is whether the AF speed is the same as the D3. First impresion only, but it just seemed to be slower to AF than I had expected. Hope I am wrong when I get to use it for real.

Another thing to keep in mind. The standard D700 uses a different battery than the D3. MAJOR pain in the *ss, but from a practical point of view, since you need the grip add on if you want to get frames per second where you want them and the grip will accept the #4 battery from the D3 (of course you need a special battery door cover to use the D3 battery which I did not realize and now have to get in my warm little hands by Saturday. Swell - even more money to spend).

Oh - one more minus. The D700's rear LCD screen may be the same size as that on the D3, but it comes with that absolute piece of cr*p plastic cover that was in the D2 series. So I also have to add the cost of a new GGS protector when GGS actually gets around to making one for the D700.

If you factor in the $3k cost of the basic body plus the cost of the add on grip plus the cost of the new battery cover and spare EN 4 batts - I am getting a bad feeling that I should have just blown for the $5k on a new D3 or perhaps waited until inevitable D3X

Will have the D700 with 70-200 on my shoulder this Saturday for opening day and the 400/2.8 on the D3 on the stick.

Stay tuned as they say.......but I am thinking I may have made a mistake.

If the AF works up to expectations and the images work, then all will undoubtedly be forgiven, but I am a bit queasy as I write this.

6. To follow up....

Just went on B&H site to find that the battery chamber cover is out of stock.

Swell - now I will have to carry a couple of dozen AA batts to load into the D700 add on grip.

GRrrrrrrrrrr!

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Doesnt' the D700 accept the same grip as the D300? I don't know that for a fact, I'm asking.

8. I have no idea.

9. Yes it does.

To Rick W. In response to your couple dozen AA batteries comment, you should be more than fine with 8. Just remember, you need the rechargeable ones to achieve the high frame rate. I recommend some quality NiMH 2800mAh ones. Those will last you several hundred shots easily. Stuff the standard battery into the body, and the 8 AA batteries into your grip, and you will be set. Turn off the auto-chimp feature to conserve on battery life.

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    it's good new bad news like always:
    the lack of reach will kill you for field sports
    the lack of reach will save you for indoor sports like bb
    the 70-200 on the D3 becomes the perfect BB lens

that's one of the reasons i got the 400 but i still won't use the D3 for daytime field sports

11. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Randy
    I was hoping you'd weigh in, since the D3 is full frame.
    That pretty much answers my question, as to FF for field sports.

It sounds to me like a D300/D3 or D700 combo is best, if budget can handle both.

12. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.