D700 gotchas (I'll start: takes ONLY type-1 CF)

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by cjottawa, Aug 24, 2008.

1. cjottawa

cjottawa

Aug 23, 2008
    Nope
    * DELETE PLEASE *

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. The type II compact flash is just a bit wider usually for harddrive based memory, its very SLOWWWWW, you are not missing much, get the fastest 40/45 MB/sec CF card with UDMA, it makes a big difference not only in reading the card, but in terms of emptying the buffer while shooting, sandisk type IV is a good choice.

3. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I had a gotcha yesterday. I put an old SB25 and the 700 and it got stuck! Not happy about a $25 flash being stuck on a $3000 camera!

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Although, that isn't a problem that is inherent with the D700s, it is a known problem with that flash.

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I posted my form of a "gotcha" as a question on here lest week. It was regarding the inability for the D700 to automatically rotate images that were taken in portraiture orientation on your viewfinder without having to go into playback mode. I'm sure Nikon will fix it with a firmware upgrade (crossing fingers!).

6. Ah! That explains why mine got stuck on my D70 once !

Thanks !

Ronnie

7. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Nov 23, 2007
    Ohio
    No BKT button while the D90 will have one... what's up with that? :smile:

8. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Grip is a little thicker for my right hand and feels a little awkward without a vertical grip (my grip was on my D200 since day 1). Other than that, zero complain. :smile:

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I suppose one could assign either the function or the DOF button to do bracketing.

10. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Nov 23, 2007
    Ohio
    Which is extremely simple and quick with the new Quick Settings menu! I love this feature more and more everytime I use it.

11. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    The camera will not mount on my mac.... and all the images opened in preview need to be rotated.

:( They are seen properly in aperture though...

12. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

You're able to open Raw files in aperture or are you talking about Jpegs?

13. The D700 sucks, its too good to be true! the disk mounting issue should be available in a firmware update sometime,you can use nikon transfer for sucking NEF files for now, but the problem is, since I got the D700 I rarely need to edit a photo so I am shooting jpegs mainly, the D700 sucks Its too perfect!

14. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    The default setting for the Fn button is, in fact, bracketing.

15. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Nov 23, 2007
    Ohio
    Good to know... I've changed it so many times since the default setting I forgot. :smile:

16. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    nope... just talking about how they are displayed properly where on the computer they appear to need to be rotated.

if that makes sense.

17. mine display properly on the computer as well-no need for rotation, using a mac?

18. Which is faster of these 3? SDHC Class 6, the new Sandisk 30mb/s Extreme III, or the Sandisk CF Extreme IV UDMA(?) card?

I have a 16GB SDHC Class 6 card...wish I could use it (direct or via adapter at full speed) in my D700. :(

19. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I shoot with a 8gb Sandisk type III, will that say, that a

SanDisk Extreme IV CF 8GB (is that UDMA - whatever that means :smile:)

and will I get a faster card then - noticeable ?

I also read that a 4GB card is faster, than a 8GB card - and a 2GB faster than a 4 GB - is that right ?

If so I will chose a

SanDisk Extreme IV CF 4GB ??

for my sons football (soccer)

Thank you

20. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Nov 23, 2007
    Ohio

I posted this on another thread but this may answer your question on speed.... it's not up to date for the D700 but does have the D3 -

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9255