D700 + Grip... How does it feel compared to D2x/D3

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by D2Xuser, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hi there,

I currently own a D2X and would like to upgrade to either the D3 or D700. I would use a grip on the D700 most of the time but like the idea of being able to strip down the weight by taking the grip off if need be.

Can anyone comment on how comfortable the D700+grip is compared to the D2/D3 bodies? Does the grip feel like it is part of the camera...or just tacked on?

Thanks for any help
    Paul

2. gclement

gclement Guest

I have the D2Xs and the D700 with the grip. The grip is very comfortable in your hand and feels very much like the D2Xs. I had a couple of D2x batteries and bought the extra little piece to be able to use the EN-L4 battery. It's nice to have the same long battery time as the D2x.

3. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    How does it compare to the D3...Thanks

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    The thing I don't like about the grip is the same thing as on the D300, it's a certain slick finish area on it that on a pro body is covered with gripable rubber. It's not a major issue though, as the grip is secondary on this cam for me. Mostly it will not be mounted, but I have it for hiking for body extension. To be more specific, I'd have to get it back in my hand.

5. Hi I prefer it over the d3's I have had and over my d2x's simply because on both the d3 d2x I cannot reach the thumb pad on either of them but with the grip on my d700/300 and I can quite happily reach the secondary thumb pad when in vertical orientation or portrait mode.

The MB-D10 has got to the one of the best grips I have ever used, it's extremely rigid it allows you a choice of multiple battery formats and the option to use both your cameras without it saving weight in the process.

Phil.

6. I was looking at the same decision about a month ago and decided to go with the D3. I have large hands and from using the D200 with grip knew that I would always have the grip on anyway. I didn't like the method of having to remove the grip to get to one of the batteries. Also liked the idea of having the display in the grip area on the D3. Seeing the price come down to about 4500 at B&H for the D3 and the price of 3250 for the D700 with grip makes the price difference 1250 vs the 2000 when the D700 was released. I was very interested in the voice feature of the D3 to assist me with keeping a record of the situation surrounding a photo. I also found that having the ENEL-4a battery and charger from the start without extra expense would be an advantage.

I did see a few features that were missing in the original D3 from the new D700 features and upon reading the v2.0 firmware upgrade docs found that many of those had been added to the D3.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure that you will enjoy your new purchase no matter what you select.