D700 Higher ISO Landscapes!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by gnagel, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Since I almost always use a tripod when shooting landscapes, I would usually use the camera's base ISO setting for the exposure.

However, with winds exceeding 20 mph in an open field, I decided to boost the ISO (to 800) in order to achieve a shutter speed of 1/500th (hopefully enough to freeze the movement of the white plants) and to achieve an adequate depth of field at f/11.

It seems that having confidence to boost the ISO setting without worrying about too much loss of image quality can be a benefit even on a bright afternoon!

#1: Wild Carrot in front of Corn
    p873575330-5.jpg

#2: Corn Wave
    p1036432647-5.jpg

#3: Wild Carrot Close-Up
    p333611444-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

2. Beautiful shots! So clean and crisp.

3. Thanks for commenting Ally

4. Beautiful shots, and your comments are absolutely correct. I've even used higher iso's for macro in order to be able to freeze movement. I use DxO and the newest version is absolutely spectacular in removing noise from NEF files....without any appreciable loss of sharpness....must be like what shooting with your D700 is like. No more restraints!

5. Thanks Harry...

Being able to shoot at higher ISO settings without much concern really does remove quite a few retraints.

In an earlier thread, I mentioned how I started approaching some flower shots as if I was shooting sports--fast shutter speeds, continuous burst, higher ISO. And, it worked! :biggrin:

Glenn

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nicely done, Glenn. I'm taking notes :smile:

7. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Did you set the hyperfocal distance for the first shot or was f/11 and autofocus enough to get the awesome DOF?

8. yea, it does free ya up a bit. I used it on my D3 for shots I could not a tripod into position for.

9. Thanks! :wink:

10. I focused on one of the flowers that was located about 30 feet in front of me. With the wide focal length and f/11---I just hoped that was good enough to keep the cornfield in reasonably sharp focus.

Thanks,
    Glenn

11. beautiful, glenn
    i do like #3 the most

well done

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Nice shots, all in all, I like all 3.

13. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice work Glenn, you're really getting the most out of your new camera.

I too really like no3.

14. Thanks again Greg

Thank you Doug

15. Thanks Robert...

It's certainly a very capable camera--and one that I hope I can grow with.

Glenn

16. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The camera is amazing, but the photographer takes the shot.

17. Thanks for the kind words...

Glenn