D700 higher ISO shots from showroom...

I looked at the high res shots. Looking at the last one I was thinking, "not bad for 1800". "Looks like 640-800 on my D200"...

THEN I REALIZED I WAS LOOKING AT ISO 3600!!! :biggrin::eek::biggrin:

I SO hope my dealer can get me one sooner than later. This is going to totally change how I shoot architecture! :26:

P

PeterRH

THEN I REALIZED I WAS LOOKING AT ISO 3600!!!
Even if I were not on the hunt for an FX body, these high-ISO shots for my event assignments would have me convinced anyway.

I was able to hold off on the D3.....don't think I stand any chance of that with the D700.

N

Nuteshack

these files are something else ..that thing (3600iso file) was clipped pretty bad (ETTL). and after messing with it in pse (levels, seriously jacked contrast, usm etc) i was still amazed at the lack of noise....incredibly flexible file -> the prints from these d3/700's have to be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like a sensible place to ask, rather than start a new thread:
How many ISO stops better, is the D3 (D700) than the D300? (I'm thinking D3 6400, D300 1600/3200)
About 1.5, or is it clearly 2 stops better?

This seems like a sensible place to ask, rather than start a new thread:
How many ISO stops better, is the D3 (D700) than the D300? (I'm thinking D3 6400, D300 1600/3200)
About 1.5, or is it clearly 2 stops better?
id say 2 stops.

Mmm, luuuust! 2 stops could be enough for me to pay the extra.

I had a look at the dpreview of the D3, which compared high ISO shots to the D300 (amongst others), but the in camera noise reduction made it difficult to know how much there was in it:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3/page18.asp
Have a look at the D3 & D300 iso 1600 and 3200 - I'm not sure if it's just down to noise reduction, the grey looks decent on the D300. The black is a little better on the D3, and by iso 6400 the black is miles better. I assume the D300 has sacrificed more detail to keep the noise down (both were set to normal high iso NR), which you can see in the royal face, but that's not an easy image to compare as it even looks totally different at iso 200.

Thanks for the replies - I'm annoyed with the search facility - doing an advanced search for 'ISO' in the title of the D3/D300 forum gets no hits, so I'm going to start a new post there too (feel free to ignore it, it will be the same as this one :)

Real Name
Randy
Mmm, luuuust! 2 stops could be enough for me to pay the extra.

I had a look at the dpreview of the D3, which compared high ISO shots to the D300 (amongst others), but the in camera noise reduction made it difficult to know how much there was in it:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3/page18.asp
Have a look at the D3 & D300 iso 1600 and 3200 - I'm not sure if it's just down to noise reduction, the grey looks decent on the D300. The black is a little better on the D3, and by iso 6400 the black is miles better. I assume the D300 has sacrificed more detail to keep the noise down (both were set to normal high iso NR), which you can see in the royal face, but that's not an easy image to compare as it even looks totally different at iso 200.

Thanks for the replies - I'm annoyed with the search facility - doing an advanced search for 'ISO' in the title of the D3/D300 forum gets no hits, so I'm going to start a new post there too (feel free to ignore it, it will be the same as this one :)

at 1200 the d300 starts to mush out some prob from uncontrolable in camera NR
at 5k the d3 starts to show some grain
the big diff is shadows...the d3 is amazing when you use d-lighting, there is rarely any noise waiting for you

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom