D700+ISO 6400 + what is this ? + added ISO 25.600

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Steinar, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Got my brand new Nikon D700 today, and wanted to shoot at night.

Lens: Nikon 50mm on f. 1.8.

Default settings - havent played with it yet.

What is all those "marks" - the blue marks a lot of places - I think it is 4-5 places and also the weird "light" to the left of the chimney (it is also a kind of blue even the roof is very red and the chimney is not blue) at the house in near the middle - a bit to the left. But also in the leaves of the tree - a little right for the middle.
    Is that banding or ?

2762926993_70dbb2bd4a_b.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  2. I don't see banding at all here. The blue I'm guessing is just a reflection of the night sky on things in the frame. Including the chimney.

3. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    all i see is a pic that's a little under exposed.

4. Wierd, the first thing I did when I got my D3? Shoot in the dark :) haha. Awesome cameras. i can't see the artifacts you mention.

Gary.

5. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much all, happy to hear, and I agree, that some of it is the blue sky, but all ? - try to look at car number 3 (count from below), and then go a nearly straight line op to the leaves - there is nothing but leaves - green leaves - and there is this strange blue line ?

6. I honestly don't see any of that. I don't even think it is underexposed--sure, much of it is a silhouette, but the lighted road is well exposed and the shadows make sure we know it is a night scene.

7. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Nick - here is the crop.

2763875056_889e9e7b00_o.png

8. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    2763226065_02f240f22d_b.png

Here is ISO 25.600

Not bad
    ? - if I set the NR to 100% the noise would dissapear (but soft picture of course).

Some questions

- The "lines" is still not banding ?

- but color noise ?

- but in the pic on my PC in very large, the lines are a kind of blue (not so much here) so therefore I think, that maybe the cropped pic above (Today 0318) have something to do with this blue color ?

I totally agree now, that all the other blue colors ... is the sky (thank you), and I think the camera is doing very well, just interested in an explanation about the blue color, if possibly.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  9. In the second photo...it's banding. I see that very clearly.

10. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you - just to be sure: You mean the ISO 25.600 photo ? ( 3 photos but 2 in one :smile:)

11. Yes, the last photo.

12. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you.

13. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

o my goodness another hi iso "bad picture"well thats intresting .roll eyes.

14. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I do think you interpretate this another way, but please explain yourself.

Thank you.

15. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    It's not banding. It's sensor blooming from the strong light source in an otherwise incredibly dim environment. Happens with every camera when the ISO is pushed that high.

16. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Andrew - what about the cropped pic. in #7 (ISO 6400) ?

17. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Well, I am sorry, if this is boring - it is not for me of course.

The pic in #8: This is totally OK for me - no problem, it is iso 25.600 !!

-----

I also can see, that a lot of the blue in the pic in #1 is coming from the dark blue sky, thank you again, but I still miss help about the blue mark, which is also seen in the crop in the pic in #7.

I am not so happy about that blue mark.

And this is iso 6400, where I only have read, that it should be OK - the "bad things" should only start after that iso-value.

Is the 50mm f/1.8 bad for those night shots with city lights ? - as I have read it should be better, than the 50 mm f/1.4., but the 1.8 is the fastest lens I have, so therefore I was planning on using this.

18. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    I'm only seeing one image, and with out exif, so I don't know which it is, but what I am seeing looks like an over saturated low color (8 bit?) image. The hard blue areas looks like posterization of sky reflections from pushing saturation to high. Assuming this is an in camera jpg, which picture control were you using?

19. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much for doing this reponse.

It was one of the first shots with the camera - everything default and standard - 1.8 - iso 6400 - in raw- converted to jpg - no pushing PP - right out of the camera.

I upload at flickr - only jpg.s - how do I do to send the exif ?

But I really do not think that helps - I just want to know for another time how to upload the exif ?

Can you not see all the 3 images ?

20. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi Steinar,
    the EXIF data is part of the file when you get it out of the camera. Some photo editing programs delete the EXIF from a jpeg file to save space. Look into your program and find out whether there is a setting to enable/disable EXIF deletion.

For example Photoshop CS3 deletes the EXIF if you use "Save for Web & Devices" but leaves the EXIF in the file if you use "File | Save As..." instead.