D700 LCD seems to have washed out colors

Hi guys. Just a question. I never realized how washed out my D700 LCD screen looks like until I used a 5D Mark 2 today. I notice how vibrant the LCD on the 5D is. Red look like they pop. Mine doesn't.

I shoot raw and have the picture set to vivid (I know it doesn't affect raw). Just wondering if there's a way I can get more pop in my LCD. Or is Canon's LCD just better and I'm in a losing game here. Again, it doesn't impact the pics coming out of the camera at all, but I'd like the shot to be nice and vibrant.

Any suggestions will do.

For me, I feel it's best if the pictures on the LCD screen (obviously with in-camera processing) look close to how the JPEGs will look on a calibrated monitor. That way, what you see is what you get.

Even if shooting RAW, I feel you have a better idea of what you'll have to work with when you open the files in your editing software.

Assuming your D700 LCD is just like the one in my D3, I'd say it's pretty dang accurate.

Assuming your D700 LCD is just like the one in my D3, I'd say it's pretty dang accurate.

Hmm, then something is wrong. I notice reds in particular look like its highlights are blown, even though the histogram shows the whites aren't touching the right side.

Can someone post their LCD settings?

When my reds are blown, (this is usually a guaranteed problem when shooting in vivid) they're also blown on my monitor. I have to be real careful with the saturation settings in the D3 or the reds are almost always lost when shooting JPEGS with VIVID processing.

I assumed this was a D3 problem. Anyone else have this problem with a D3 or D700?

Hi guys. Just a question. I never realized how washed out my D700 LCD screen looks like until I used a 5D Mark 2 today. I notice how vibrant the LCD on the 5D is. Red look like they pop. Mine doesn't.

I shoot raw and have the picture set to vivid (I know it doesn't affect raw). Just wondering if there's a way I can get more pop in my LCD. Or is Canon's LCD just better and I'm in a losing game here. Again, it doesn't impact the pics coming out of the camera at all, but I'd like the shot to be nice and vibrant.

Any suggestions will do.

Of course, both your looks at the LCD display and the camera's contribution to the red channel will depend on the subject, the time of day, your chosen settings, etc.

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but because you've said that this "deficiency" doesn't affect the pictures from the camera, I'm thinking that you might try using a loupe, something like this.

Of course, both your looks at the LCD display and the camera's contribution to the red channel will depend on the subject, the time of day, your chosen settings, etc.

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but because you've said that this "deficiency" doesn't affect the pictures from the camera, I'm thinking that you might try using a loupe, something like this.

Well, basically, what I'm seeing is that my picture on the back of the LCD doesn't match what I'm shooting. Reds look washed out, everything looks really bright. Basically, I don't see deep red. I have a deep red vase in my house. When I shoot it, It looks almost orangy on the LCD, but when I put it into lightroom, the colors are fine.

I've got it on Standard picture setting.

Crazy thought, but do you have the LCD brightness turned up too high?

Hi no. It's on 0.

I've put it on the D2X picture settings and bumped up the saturation. Reds still look washed and not deep at all. What my eye sees and what the LCD shows is off colorwise.

I've owned 3 different D700's and the LCD has been quite accurate on all of them.

Did you check the red channel histogram on camera? Sometimes (e.g. faces in sunlight) red channel can clip much before other channels.

It's the red channel. It just isn't deep. I can play with the hue, but then it affects the other tones as well.

Again, the raw image is unaffected, only jpeg. I guess what the back of the LCD shows is how jpegs are displayed. Reds just don't look right. It's too orangy and not deep.

Latest threads

Top Bottom