1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

d700 lens hangup

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by redemptioncalls, Jul 10, 2008.

1. i just purchased a 17-55 f/2.8(which i can send back to adorama becasue it isnt opened yet), and was planning on buying a d300 at the end of the summer. however, with the emergence of the d700, i think i may wait until next summer before i go to photo school to buy a new fx body. i dont want to screw myself over, so should i send the 17-55 back and get the 17-35 so i will be set in the future?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Short answer YES! I just sold my 17-55, lost about $300, Going FX soon!

3. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    NO!

Sell the 17-55 and buy a 24-70. On an DX body, the equivalent focal length coverage of the 17-55 is 25.5-82.5 so the 24-70 will be very close to the same on and FX body. Plus, it is one of Nikon's latest and greatest designs.

That's where I am going. But, I'm keeping my d300 with the 17-55 and adding the d700 with a 14-24 and 24-70. I will only keep one DX lens (17-55) it is that good.

4. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    Keep the 17-55 and stay on course with your plan. Don't give in to emotion and become involved in an expensive modification.

The used price of the 17-55 is not going to change much over the next couple years. When I recently sold mine on eBay there were almost 70 bidders who had my auction on their Watch list. Add to that number a few dozen more who simply bookmarked the page and revisited it. The demand for this lens will remain high because it is an outstanding performer. No wonder I had hundreds of auction page views!

Open the lens box and begin shooting. You won't regret it when you see what this lens can do.

5. ssjarz

ssjarz Guest

I think that once the hoopla surrounding the D700 dies down and people start to realize what one can purchase in glass for the three grand that the D700 costs, the 17-55 2.8 lens makes more sense especially on the any of the DX bodies. My only complaint is that it is a rather large heavy lens to carry around all day. Other than that it is bulletproof, and the focus and focal length rings are butter smooth, a lot more so than the third party lens I tried before finally buying the 17-55. Now that was before the D700 came out of course. I own a D100 and a D80, can't seem to want to sell the D100, it still works just fine. They both work well with the 17-55 so I will probably keep it. Every time I sell a lens, I regret it.

6. I'd send the 17-55 back to Adorama. Then I'd be patient, watch our For Sale forum, and buy a used 17-55 from someone who is upgrading to a d3 or d700. And should you actually upgrade to a d700 next summer, I'll bet you'll be able to sell that used 17-55 for just about the price you paid for it.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You're going to photo school? I'm starting my third year in photo school in the Fall. You will need to take some film classes if it's a regular 'fine arts' oriented university curriculum. That's FX format, so stick with lenses you can use throughout. By the time you graduate, there will be all new digital bodies, and you will want to be able to keep the lenses you have, and only spring for new bodies (that is, unless you get way-laid into some major you will actually be able to make a living at! I'm just sayin' ...)

8. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i'm not sure you want to get the 17-35. the 17-35 is a completely different lens from a 17-55, it is MUCH wider. Wider than the 12-24 on the D300. The closest FX equivalent is the 24-70.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What??? If the 17mm end of either lens is used on a DX body, it'll be a moderate wide angle lens. Similar to what 35mm shooters consider the 28mm to be. Wide, but not so much as to make people to look elongated if they happen to be near the edge of the frame.

The 17-35 will work on an FX body, such as the D700 or any film camera. The 17-55 will have issues on anything other than a DX body. Nothing wrong with that, but see what I said above. On a FX camera, it'll be an ultra wide with all the 'special' effects, just like Phil meant.

10. You have a talent, Phil. I don't know anyone else who could have packed that much mis-information into 2 short sentences - lol.

11. I sold my 17-55 and dont miss it at all, I replaced it with primes and I am getting extremely sharp photos at f2.8. I think that lens is way overrated for what it is.....

12. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    I would return the 17-55 and with that money and the planned sale of the D80 and 18-200 order a D700 now. Your primes you have listed will work great on FX until you save up for your next lens purchase. Modern dslrs seem to only have 2-3 years before it is replaced and this is an argument for purchasing fairly early in the product cycle.
    The 24-70 is a great lens may have better IQ than the primes you have but to me at least it's more pleasurable shooting with small primes.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    He said he plans to go FX, so you're comparing 17-55 on DX versus 17-35 on FX. Completely different animals.

14. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Photo school? Cool!

So tell me, where is the shutter button? lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.