1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 low light

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by enough, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I did post this one in another category in the cafe, so apologies if you saw it there.

This is one of the first low light shots that I have taken with the camera and I would welcome any feedback on how to improve moving forward.

Reading about the low light capabilities of this camera and experiencing it are two different things!

Shot was captured 20 mins after sunset, 50mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, ISO 200, shot wide open.

[​IMG]

2. Mark, low light tends to refer to high ISO so I'm not sure this shot is on point. It's a cool shot though, very nice blue tones.

3. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Cool shot and I also love the tones.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice one, Mark. I love blue :smile:

5. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    I am not sure what you are looking for, are you looking for more detail in the shadows or something do you see more noise then you would think should be there can you explain more.

6. Hi Mark...
    As Joe said, usually low light shots refer to high ISO, but anyway, this is a real neat shot... Well done...

The only thing I would have done different is to have shot it between f/5.6-8 and not at f/1.4 as this would have given a sharper shot with a greater DOF.
    Rui Lopes (Cafe' member) use to shoot these type of sunset/night scenes at f/16 and got a star effect on the street lights which looked great...
    Maybe give it a try sometime...

7. Though I am not disagreeing with Joe or Wally, I think that there is room for discussion on the D700 and low light with the ISO not necessarily being high. One of the conclusions I draw from Mark's post is that if I want to shoot in low light, and the aperture and shutter speed I want to use mean I have to use a low ISO, then the D700 can handle that situation well, as opposed to another camera where I would have to set it to a higher ISO to get the same shot.

For me (who is still saving his pennies for a D700), it also brings up the question:
    For the D700, setting aside any shutter speed or aperture driven changes, is there a difference in the pictures taken in low light using the different, but still relatively low ISO's (200, 400, 800)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.