D700 made in Japan

I just noticed that my new D700 says made in Japan. I thought they were made in Thailand in the same factory as the D300. It looks like they share the same production facilities as the D3.

Bob

I just noticed that my new D700 says made in Japan. I thought they were made in Thailand in the same factory as the D300. I looks like they share the same production facilities as the D3.

Bob

Makes sense since they share a lot of the same internal components. More efficient production. However, this does make me feel good about my purchase :biggrin:

One other thing, the s/n of the D700 starts with a 20xxxxx, where my D300 is a 30xxxxx. Both are USA camera.
Bob

I just noticed that my new D700 says made in Japan. I thought they were made in Thailand in the same factory as the D300. It looks like they share the same production facilities as the D3.

Bob

Hi,
I think Nikon gave out in a press release at the launch stating that the initial batch is made in Sendai factory, Japan. They used the Sendai facility to train the personnel of the Thailand factory and subsequent batches will be made in Thailand.

It is possible though that this is not from a Nikon press release but some internet site (Thom Hogan, Bjørn Rørslett, ...?) that I frequently read.

True, the D200 was first made in japan, then shifted to the thailand plant, feels good being an early adapter.

Canadian Leicas {not sure if lenses or cameras} were not as good as those made in Germany?
I have never had any issues with cameras or lenses made in Thailand. Be aware that the same excellent quality control applied in Japan is being applied in Thailand.
I am sure the same control is applied to products made in China but I do not feel as comfortable with them as I do with items coming from Thailand or Japan. It could be me though.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I'm old enough to remember when "Made In Japan" meant junk!

Thats right Tony.
Back in the 60's, made in Japan meant cheap junk.
Thailand is in that stage now. The locals prefer imported stuff over the local brands.
Regarding Nikon in Thailand.
I'm sure Nikon Co. has it's 15,000 employees under control in Thailand with proper quality control checks in the system.
Somehow, I do feel better about owning one made in Japan though.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom