D700 meets the 50mm at f/1.4

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by beaucamera, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I almost forgot I had this lens.
    The last time I used it was when Bjorn had his "normal" contest.
    The angle of view was never enough for me until I got the D700, but that's not the test I put it through today.

I wanted to see what results I might get at f/1.4.
    Here are results I got with this combo.
    Do you like the dreamy effects of the shallow DOF?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

#1 ISO200, 1/500sec. at f/1.4
    101547268.jpg

#2 Same settings
    101551020.jpg

#3 Lavender
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Beatuiful work

Reminds me of Lens Baby shots, but without all the fussing with those manual focusing bellows.

Nice work. Makes me want to get a D700.

Now, the question. What there about this combo that the 50 + D300 could not deliver?

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Great capture. FX rules for classic Nikkor glass.

Gregory

4. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful shots indeed, I love mine, too, on FX. :Love:

1.jpg

2.jpg

5. PPPOEx

PPPOEx

Jan 13, 2008
    taiwan
    Fantastic effects, nice shot.

6. Something does not look right about the bokeh. There are ghosts/halos around all the petals in the flowers, almost like a gaussian blur was applied in post processing. Look at the photo above of the book and the roses, and you see there is no such artifact. Any ideas as to what's caused this?

7. Carl, I haven't tried this yet, but your suggestion is a good one.
    My poor D300's been neglected since I got the D700. :eek:
    The D300's a fine camera too.:smile:

Thanks, Greg.

I appreciate your comments, Michael.

What a beauty this is!
    I delighted to know you're having fun with shallow DOF too.

The painterly effect intrigues me too!

The only thing I can think is motion.
    Another reason may be the complexity of the backgrounds.
    Both of these factors can effect the relationship of the subject to the background.
    I shot these hand held in low light.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. I thought about that as well, until I saw your shutter speed was set at 1/500 second. At that speed with a 50mm lens, you'd just about have to have a seizure or sneeze during the exposure to make any noticeable motion blur. You didn't add a soft focus filter action or gaussian blur to your post process? I've just never seen any 50/1.4 examples that showed that sort of strange bokeh, even in complex backgrounds.

9. I've never seen bokeh like that either....Mine is much smoother than that on both the D700 and D300.

sample here

10. Part of what you see may also have to do with the structure of the subject, lots of small buds in slightly different spatial planes.
    That's the only other thing I can think of.

Sonya, I don't know what to say.
    This is the result I got using the Nikon 50mm. f/1.4 lens at f/1.4 on this subject.

What were the EXIF setting you used for your 50 mm lens in your example? Do you have an example using small flowers and/or complex background at f/1.4?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Here are more examples using a different flower.
    The subject is larger and the backgrounds are not complex.

D700 with 50mm f/1.4, ISO 200, 1/1600 sec., f/1.4
    "Bud"
    101582536.jpg

D700 with 50mm f/1.4, ISO 200, 1/1250 sec., f/1.4
    "In the Pink"
    101592331.jpg

11. Virginia, those two shots are beautiful. No doubt about it. I just don't understand why the out of focus areas are not more creamy, as is usually the case with the Nikkor 50/1.4 lens. When I first looked at those two shots, I thought they were digital paintings or smudges. Like I said, they're quite stunning images, but still don't look like other images I've seen taken with the 50/1.4 lens.:confused:

12. Virginia, I really like the second one of your initial set. I am anxious to get a fast prime again, but will wait and see how the Sigma 50 1.4 does, or if Nikon releases and updated primes.

13. I agree that it looks like some of your photoshop artwork....beautiful, but different than I've seen.

Exif on the sample I posted was ISO 200, f/1.4, 1/100

14. ubik

ubik

Aug 19, 2008
    Bucharest
    Hi!

I think i can safely assume that you've used your 50mm on DX before the D700 :)
    How would you appreciate the new (old) field of view the 50mm is giving you on FX?

I'm asking because i'm trying to make the jump to D700 for the outstanding ISO and capabilities, but all my gear except the 50mm f/1.4 is DX, so all i'll be left with for some time is the D700 and this beautiful lens...

Would you say one could live just by this for a while until i can get the 24-70 f/2.8?
    I usually do indoor portraits; sadly this period i will not travel too much so i don't think i'll need a wide angle that badly.

Thanks!

15. the 50 1.4 is excellent on the D700, field of view is wide enough for most indoor portraits, its tiny, light and powerful, I keep it on my camera 90% of the time, I have the 35mm prime as well, great but a bit wide for daily use on fx, I am planing on getting a wider prime soon, maybe 20mm for street photography, zooms are boring after using primes, really! sell all your Dx lenses and buy either a cheap telephoto zoom "70-300 maybe?, because 200mm is not enough" and a wide prime, the 50 mm will be on your camera most of the time...

16. virginia, the artist in you has struck again
    very well done

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Congrats!

18. I really love them! Especially the first one is truly striking!

19. Even the sharpest areas appear soft. Is it the lens or the camera that's the cause of this? Thx.