D700 missing in action...

Sent my D700 out 3 weeks ago for a routine cleaning and have not seen it since. The vendor has it in a huge pile and can't even guess at when they will get to it.

Can anyone recommend a vendor to do a shutter repair on a D300, which is what I was planning to do next?

Thanks,

Sweating the Spring Photo Season without a body...

I should have. I took the camera to the store where I bought it, as I thought they might be able to remove the last few specs of dust that I couldn't get, and next thing I knew I had agreed to send it off to their vendor. They said it would take "a week and a half."

Now they are saying that it's the busy time of year with all of the local pro photogs getting their equipment ready for the wedding season. Wish they had told me that upfront...

Thanks Jonathan! The one I sent in for cleaning is still under warranty, but only needed a dust off. The one that was going in next for a stuck shutter is not under warranty, so I was testing this non-Nikon shop out before doing the big job. Looks like they lost that one.

Now the only question is whether to fix the D300 shutter, or put the money towards a new body. Decision is tougher now that no one knows when Nikon will ship pro bodies again...

Try those guys out. Tell them exactly the issue you need fixed and they'll even give you a rough quote over the phone. They were Nikon's mid-west facility at one point, so all the guys are certified Nikon trained. It took them about a week and half to get my repair done, plus shipping time. The nice thing though is that they were very prompt when it came to email correspondence. They kept me posted all the way through.

Thanks Joe! Leaning that way myself. If they will even talk to me on Monday that will be a leg up. Most of the places won't even speculate on charges or what's wrong over the phone. That means I'm just giving them my wallet and closing my eyes... Not the way it should work.

We just started using CrisCam. We've only sent a few flashes so far, but they seem to be relatively fast, and easy to work with.

Thanks kbutler84- I called again today and they still don't have a clue about when or even if. I told them I need the camera back next monday, clean or not.

They called today with good news and bad news... The bad news was that they had LOST my camera! The good news is that they are going to replace it! Not holding my breath until it happens, but a better outcome than I had expected.

I picked up a brand new one from them today! I get to start all over in D700 land... :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom