1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 NEF in Capture NX 1.3.4 vs. D3

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by CurtisBilly, Aug 7, 2008.

1. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    I just bought a D700 and have been told no more purchases for a long time by my better half. I'm therefore going to skip NX2 and use Photoshop Bridge/Camera Raw for the majority of my conversions and for print-worthy shots do the Hex editing to fool NX into thinking the D700 file is from a D3 as mentioned by Bjorn and Thom Hogan.

I tried a couple D700 conversions in NX 1.3.4 after HEX editing the .NEF to fool NX into thinking it's from a D3. It seems to work well. I even edited the .JPG output to see if I could change the flag back to D700 and that worked too. The only test I can think of to corroborate that a D700 NEF file is the same as a D3 file involves NX2. In the back of my mind, I suspect there may be some sublte differences.

Has anyone heard about or tried to find a difference between the conversion NX2 does to a HEX edited D700 NEF (D3-tagged) vs. the original D700 NEF?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.