1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 Nikon 500mm F4 bag?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steve P, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Steve P

Steve P

Oct 26, 2007
    Arizona
    Just picked up a used 500mm F4 afs II and need a bag to carry it around in. So far best I have found is the Lowepro Lens Trekker AW600. Any other ideas? Thanks Steve

2. david fletcher

david fletcher

Apr 5, 2008
    UK
    Yes.. Heritage CCS 600 works fine, as does the ordinary Lowepro Photo Trekker: (Just depends on what else you want to take with it). Fits fine in a Think Tank Airport Intl with a couple of Bodies, 17-55, 70-200 etc, for flights too. Dave

3. Steve:

I have a Nikon 500 F4 AFSI and a Lowepro Lens Trekker AW600. The bag works fine and is easy to carry around but the straps are pretty bulky. My friends Bell Dewey and Louie Champan both have the Kinesis bags. The great thing about the Kinesis bags is they are more compact and the straps can be removed if traveling. I will order one of those before I take my next trip, either plane or road.

4. The Nikon CL L2 bag that comes with the 200-400 is also able to carry the 500 & 600/4.

5. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    My CL L2 bag can't carry my 600VR, far too tight, but it did carry my 500(non VR). I now use a Kinesis bag which will service both my 200-400 (lots of room) with camera, as well as my 600 with camera body attached although I try not to carry the 600 with a body attached.

I usually carry a custom made backpack (guru gear) on my back and the 600 in the kinesis over my shoulder for air travel (including international air). So far, I have not had any trouble other than one guy at US Customs in Dullas trying to remove the hoods from the 600 because his machine could not see thru them. I saw him about to strip the threads out and offered to help. To my surprise, he allowed be to remove the hood at the table behind the xray machine. Nice guy.

Randy

6. Odd, I put my non VR 600 in my 200-400 bag all the time and my friend uses his for his 600 VR :confused: 

Although, should be pointed out the bodies are not attached to the lenses. We just remove the lower foam insert and that makes the inside of the bag the exact width of the 600's lens hood, lens pops straight in with hood reversed.

600_bag.

600_bag2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  7. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Richard, thanks for pointing out that one needs to remove the bottom cushion - what was I thinking ---not much I guess. The CL-L2 is shown as an option on the Nikon web site. Technically you are correct. Practically, is does not work for me given how I carry things and how I shoot.

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Steve: Grab the the Lowepro trekker AW600. the straps may be bulky but over the long heavy haul that translates to comfortable:smile:. Im sure it will fit perfect? in fact it comes with an insert at the bottom that "mates" with the Nikkor 500 F4. My bag fits my Nikkor 600 f4 ED-IF AIS attached to body so your 500 should be no problem. I often use the front pocket for stuffing converters and or flash . Great bag you cant go wrong .

Gregory

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.