D700 - Not so hot anymore??

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I am looking for thoughts on the D700. At one time it was one of the top end camera and there was lots of discussion about it. Many people lusted to have one. Now I never hear anything about it. Have all these new Nikons with four number names surpassed this camera? Is the camera due to become a shelf ornament? I still use mine and love what it can do..

I think people still love it and will always stand by it but the as with anything the hot topic of conversation is always the latest gen, in this case the D800 / D4 and more recently the D7100

It's still a top performing camera but if you expect time to stand still you'll be disappointed...

The Model-T was once the top performing automobile but, eventually, it was replaced by
"newer" models... There's never going to be anything "new" about the D700 ever again,
that's just life... :wink:

What do you need to know?
It's all the digital camera I'll ever need (coming from a D2x). The D800 is a MP monster that I really don't need and the D600 is too small and apparently has some QC problems (which I can't really state as a fact).

I would love a D4, but it is not in this years (or any years budget).

4 years with my D700 / MBD-10 combo and zero problems and lot's of great photos.

8305850727_6e49fc8878_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A CSX Moment by Conrailman, on Flickr

My D700 & D3 still make wonderful pics. Mine make 11x14 as sharp as anyone could want.

I you chase ISO, then the latest is usually the best. I do studio & landscape and the cameras are stuck on base ISO.

I still love mine, Jim. In october I'll have it 4 years, one of the best birthday presents I have ever received... I use it for 90+% of my shots.

I also have a D7000, and that one I just don't connect with... If I could go back in time I would have gotten either a second 700 or a 300s instead.

I never understand these questions. Your D700 did not stop working when the D4 and D800 were released. It is still a great camera and capable of taking the same great photos it has always taken.

+1...

I purchased a D800 over a year ago, but kept my D700. The D700 is a fantastic camera and offers certain advantages over the D800--mainly the higher frame rate. I use the D700 for sports because of the higher frame rate.

Glenn

One only has to upload the latest D700 firmware, to fall in love all over again.
...here's a recent grab, SOOC

D7H_9321_zpsd6c07712.gif

I have one I can't seem to part with
still love the files

so much so, I still have a BNIB D700 in my closet that I purchased before they were gone
while everyone was chasing the D800

one day Ill retire it and bring out the new one

I have a D700. It's OK, I guess. The auto white balance has been screwed up since the day I bought it (new). It's almost always wrong. Maybe one day I'll send it to APS and have it adjusted.

Real Name
Ken St John
I love mine and seriously do not foresee "needing" a new camera for a very long time to come. It feels good in my hands and the images are wonderful. I routinely print 20x30 and they are as sharp and clear as my technique allows.

In addition to all of my other uses, it's proven wonderful in low light and for sports …

8751713029_c8fce09d8c_c.png

This is at ISO4000…

I have not shot much with the new firmware, but I am impressed with the comments other folks have made. I sent mine to Nikon (El Segundo) last year for a complete maintenance service (about $250) and it came back to me basically looking and performing like brand new.

Cheers!!

Ken

I think now there's one more reason to love it: lower price. I let go of both of mine because I became convinced 2 D600 bodies suited my needs better. That doesn't mean the D700 isn't still a terrific camera.

I think it still does very well. I tried the D800, D800e and D600 and ended up going back to my trusty D700. To me it was the most dependable camera of the bunch as far as repeatable results go!

Latest threads

Top Bottom